Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - April 17

God's gift of faith and power are always adequate, no matter how desperate our situation has become. Exhaustion, frustration, tragedy may have burdened us down so that we despair of ever being free again. The pain may be unrelenting, the loss overwhelming, the loneliness damning. But God's power is great enough for our deepest desperation. You can go on. You can pick up the pieces and start anew. You can face your fears. You can find peace in the rubble. You can have courage. There is healing for your soul. --Suzanne Dale Ezell

There are many tables to eat at in life. There is the table of public opinion. The food is sweet, but it sours in the stomach. There is the table of personal achievement. That's a power meal for sure, yet the crash is as rapid as the ascent. There's only one table with rich food that settles well and brings supernatural strength; it's the table of God's will. --Bill Johnson

On my own, I don’t measure up at all. But “in Christ,” I do. So when I started meditating primarily on Jesus and His work and less on myself, something counterintuitive happened: I actually wanted to spend more time with God, and I started thinking more about God and His word, and I started living out my faith more authentically because it felt more joyous, lively, delightful, and even natural. --Jared C. Wilson

God has ambitious plans for us. The same one who saved your soul longs to remake your heart. His plan is nothing short of a total transformation. --Max Lucado

Even when we cannot see the why and the wherefore of God's dealings, we know that there is love in and behind them, and so we can rejoice always. --J. I. Packer

God understands our prayers even when we can't find the words to say them.

Why do we swim away from Him in our times of need? I believe it is because of the fact that we may not think He will forgive us. Maybe you believe that you have done too much. Maybe ran your bill up more than you can pay. But I'm here to tell you that no matter how far you have gone out to sea the Lord will not leave you. No matter how much you hurt the Him, He still loves you. If you are thinking right now that you can't go to the Lord with something, think again. He went to the cross for us so He could be there when we need Him the most. Go to Him with what you need. Jesus is the life guard that will brave the currents and will go after you no matter how deep or how cold the water is. --Tony Rhoda

A Crystalline Day by Cassandra Wessel
Psalm 147:16 – He spreads the snow like wool and scatters the frost like ashes. (NIV)
Snow-shy birds recently back from warmer climates sang me awake to a crystalline glaze frosting every surface. I walked outside with my golden canine companion across crusty puddles that crunched and crackled underfoot. Elliot sniffed around while I refilled empty feeders. Cheerful, tittering birds immediately sought snow-hidden morsels beneath the feeders. Their joy lightened my uneasiness about an eye examination later that day. As my dog and I walked up the block to post some bills, Canadian geese winged overhead honking in "V" formation northward.
When my dog and I arrived at the ponds, geese were already swimming in the small slice of open water while others waddled along the shore. Elliot's eyes followed the large birds across the wide field. His nose lifted to sniff, and then, he gave a low "woof". He dropped his head to the ground to search for other scents. A gander honked an alert to his geese. Almost in unison, their wings beat the air as they soared in a wide arc across the ponds. As a favorite verse flew into my mind, my soul soared with them.
Isaiah 40:31 – But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (NIV)
A peace entered my heart that carried me through the stress of a day buzzing with activity. At the doctor's office, the test indicated a slight deterioration in my vision that required glasses for most tasks. Praise God, there was a remedy. I wondered why I had allowed myself to fret in the first place. God had walked alongside me throughout the day, calming my fears and allowing my soul to soar like eagles … or even geese.
When we focus our thoughts on God instead of on our troubles, God's peace and presence will reward us as we forge ahead.
Prayer: Loving God, grant us an awareness of Your presence, and enable us to trust You completely when we walk through our daily troubles, for we pray in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
Obviously, we have no way of knowing what our future will be; however, as Christians, we know the one who knows--God.
We should not worry about the future, because our times are in His hands (Psalm 31:15). In other words, God will give you what you need when you need it.
Therefore, it is no surprise that Jesus repeatedly tells us not to worry: "Do not worry about tomorrow" (Matthew 6:34).
Again, Jesus emphasized that God loves and cares for us, and we therefore should not worry about our life: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Matthew 6:25-27).
Although you don't know what God has in store for you, be assured that He has a good plan for your life. Because He has such a good plan for you, there is no need to worry about life. Although you don't know what tomorrow holds, you have the opportunity to know the one who holds tomorrow!
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28. --Weekly Wisdom

Are You Ready For Bigger Things?
“You... enlarged me when I was in distress.” – Psalms 4:1 (Amplified Bible)
Did you know that the hermit crab looks for a shell that fits him, and then lives in it until he outgrows it? At that point he has to scurry along the ocean floor and find a bigger one; it’s a process that repeats itself throughout his entire life.
Are you clinging to something that no longer fits you, just because it’s easy and familiar? David said, “You... freed me when I was hemmed in and enlarged me when I was in distress.” To develop and grow spiritually you must be willing to move out of your comfort zone and deal with a little ‘distress.’ What worked for you yesterday may not work today.
Maybe it’s a job you’ve outgrown, a relationship you need to re-examine or a behavior you need to change. Regardless of what it is, never become so ‘settled’ that you can’t let go and move on when you need to. Instead of hanging in and trying harder, at certain points you have to stop and ask yourself, “Is this situation good for me?” If you’re not sure, ask God for “an understanding heart [to]… know the difference between right and wrong. (1 Kings 3:9). His Word says, “If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you” (James 1:5).
When God says it’s time to move on, it’s because there’s another shell out there that will fit you even better. But you can’t take occupancy until you vacate the old one. So how about it - are you ready for bigger things? --First Impressions

Another Chance by Debbie Ginder
Colossians 3:13b – Forgive as the Lord forgave you. (NIV)
The seventh-grade boy locked eyes with the girl sitting opposite him in my middle school counseling office. Though he was her friend, he had told her a blatant lie the day before. She had learned the truth just as the last bell sounded, and this was their first conversation since then.
During our session, the boy admitted his guilt, brokenly apologized for lying, and asked for forgiveness. His friend quickly assured him that he was already forgiven. I was surprised when he questioned her sincerity.
"How do I know you've really forgiven me?" he asked.
The young lady replied to his doubt without hesitation.
"I had a dream," she said. "That's how you can know I forgive you."
"Listen to me," she continued. "I was really upset that you lied to me, and I wasn't sure I wanted to be your friend any more. But I prayed before I went to sleep and asked God what I should do. I dreamed that I was standing before the throne of God, and the Lord said, 'Give him another chance.' So that's what I'm doing. I don't want to be standing before the throne of God trying to explain why I didn't do what He said. He's given me other chances, so I'm giving you one. I really forgive you."
A friendship was saved because two preteen kids took God at His Word. The young man named his fault without trying to excuse it or explain it away, and asked forgiveness from the one that he had offended. The young woman expressed her feelings, but prayed for divine direction instead of following her human emotions. God gave it. Then she obeyed Him and forgave her friend as the Lord had forgiven her.
What would happen if we likewise followed Christ's instructions for resolving interpersonal tensions?
Matthew 5:23-24 – [Jesus said,] "If you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift." (NIV 2011)
It sounds like God expects me to take the first step toward reconciliation. I may need to be the one who humbly says, "I'm sorry that I hurt you by [fill in the blank]. I was wrong. Will you please forgive me?"
Jesus also leaves no room for debate about how we should respond to those who sin against us.
Matthew 18:21-22 – Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times." (NIV 2011)
Christ set the standard at unlimited forgiveness. That's what He offers us. Let's choose, therefore, as an act of worship, gratitude, and obedience, to forgive others as the Lord has forgiven us. I wonder how many relationships will be given another chance because we do.
Prayer: Father of mercy, we are grateful that You do not deal with us as our sins deserve. May we be quick to seek reconciliation, and faithful to forgive those who hurt us or those we love. For Your glory, and in the Saviour's name, we pray. Amen.

The Hut Author Unknown
The only survivor of a shipwreck washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for God to rescue him, and every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming.
Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements, and to store his few possessions.
But then one day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, the smoke rolling up to the sky. The worst had happened; everything was lost. He was stung with grief and anger. "God, how could you do this to me!" he cried.
Early the next day, however, he was awakened by the sound of a ship that was approaching the island. It had come to rescue him.
"How did you know I was here?" asked the weary man of his rescuers.
"We saw your smoke signal," they replied.
Remember next time your little hut is burning to the ground, it just may be a smoke signal that summons the grace of God.
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)

Worry Is Worthless: God Takes Care of You by Charles Swindoll, Wisdom for the Way
Worry Is Worthless
My soul takes refuge in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge until destruction passes by. — Psalm 57:1
Worry is a complete waste of energy. It solves nothing. That’s why Jesus said, Which of you by being anxious can add a single cubit to his life’s span? — Matthew 6:27
In essence He was saying, “You go to bed tonight and fret and fuss because you’re not five feet, eleven inches; you’re only five feet, nine inches. But when you wake up in the morning, you’re still going to be five feet, nine inches.”
Worry will never make you stretch! And it won’t solve that anxiety on your mind either.
Let me be completely candid here. Do you know why we worry? We have a quiet, hidden, love for worry. We enjoy it! When one worry is gone, we replace it with another. There’s always a line of worries waiting to get in the door. So as one goes out the back door, we usher in the next one through the front door. We enjoy entertaining them.
Worries are our mental and emotional companions. But Jesus says, in effect, that they’re worthless!
Worry is worthless
God Takes Care of You
Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. — Joshua 1:15
Did you know that worry erases the promises of God from your mind. Jesus implies this when He says, O men of little faith. Do not be anxious then, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘With what shall we clothe ourselves?’ — Matthew 6:31
The promise of God is that He will not allow His children to beg for bread. He will care for our needs and that’s the promise you can claim. Since He took care of our greatest need at Calvary by giving us Christ, then you can be sure He will take care of everything else He considers important for us.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
It is time to awaken to greater awareness, discernment, and higher purpose. You cannot move to this new spiritual level when you are still half asleep. I am calling you to come up here. Quiet your soul and feel the moving of My Spirit; hear the sound of My voice, and follow My leading. You are on the threshold of a great awakening, says the Lord. Be sensitive. Ephesians 5:14 Therefore He says: "Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light."

Be sure that the word you receive from Me is applied where it is intended. You must have discernment to understand the relevance and places of effectiveness of that which I speak. To do this, allow Me to give you the wisdom to know the intent and how you will be affected, says the Lord. John 6:63 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life."

I speak to many whose hearts have been torn and minds scattered. You are trying to find peace, but having lived in crisis for so long, you have lost your bearings and are not able to find your true self in Me, says the Lord. Your identity has been compromised. You must stop running and re-establish yourself in a place of spiritual safety and stability by drawing close to Me again. I am with you. Psalms 73:28 But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all Your works.

For those who have taken on more than you can effectively handle, it is time to tie up loose ends and to simplify. It is not good for you to be overextended. Pull back where you can, and get your priorities in order so that you actually have time for Me, says the Lord. For, it is in the time you spend in My presence that you will be restored, renewed and invigorated. Acts 3:19 "Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord."

There are adjustments to be made before the new season is in full swing. There are decisions to make, things to let go of, and things to acquire. This will not necessarily be a wide swath of change, but will be minor adjustments that will keep your life on the course that is optimum for you, says the Lord. Let Me lead you in the way of righteous change. Ecclesiastes 3:1 To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
I have spoken to you. I have spoken the truth to you. And, your spirit knows the truth that will indeed set you free. But, My greatest desire for you is to live in victory. The Spirit has been sent to you so that you will have victory in every aspect of your life. I want you to thrive and to prosper. I want you to live in joy, peace, and the health and prosperity that I have provided. All things are for your benefit. All you have to do now is to rise up and receive that which I have done, says the Lord.

Walking Through Desert Places by Janet Paschal
I have found a friend in Jesus
Like no other friend I've known.
When I walk through desert places,
I don't ever walk alone.

PRAISING GOD IN ALL THINGS by Jo Ann Kelly
In all things, give thanks unto God.
For, He, alone, is worthy of all praise.
We have been given abundant blessings.
He will be with us though all of our days.
Our God is mighty in power.
There is none other like He.
He, who created the world and all within,
Has redeemed our souls and set us free.
When the sun rises in the morning
And we behold the beauty of a brand new day,
Let us take time to praise the Lord
As we humbly seek His face and pray.

In the Father's Hands by Jo Ann Kelly
In the Father's Hands, we can safely stand;
Knowing, by faith, He will see us through.
He watches over His own and calls them to His throne.
In the name of Jesus, all things are made brand new.
In the Father's hands, we find peace, joy, and love.
We have hope when we follow His divine will.
He reaches down, with love, from heaven; up above.
With His Spirit, our hungry souls He will fill.
If trouble seems to get you down
Or doubts cloud the light of each day,
Look up to Jesus. He can always be found.
He'll lead you safely, in the blessed gospel way.

Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD , O my soul, and forget not all his benefits - who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. Psalm 103:1-5

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." Matthew 5:6

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD , "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1-2

"He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. Great is our Lord and mighty in power; His understanding has no limit." Psalm 147:4-5

Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened.” But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 1 Peter 3:13-17

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings. And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 5:6-11

In you, O LORD , I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; turn your ear to me and save me. Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress. Psalm 71:1-3

Quieted With His Love by Tom Norvell
As I worked my way through some devotional readings, I came across this passage: The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. (Zephaniah 3:17) I thought of my life. I thought of what the passage says about God and how He feels about me. He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in me. He will quiet me with his love. He will rejoice over me.
I confess that although I do not know if I fully understand what it means to be quieted by His love, I do know that there is something inside me that says, "I need that, Lord!" As I pondered more, I prayed, "Lord, please quiet me with Your love."
"Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"Lord, I get loud sometimes. Not so much verbally loud, but my spirit gets loud. My heart gets loud. My mind gets loud. The world around me gets loud and the loudness overwhelms me to the point that everything within me and around me seems to be loud. So, Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In these times of unrest and confusion in our nation and world, I need to be quieted by your love, dear Lord. Decisions are being made that may well change the way we live and function as a people. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"As the years pass more rapidly than my mind can comprehend, I need to be quieted with Your love. I cannot keep up. I try, but I seem to fall farther and farther behind. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In times when I fear for my very life and for the lives of my family and friends, I need to be quieted by Your love. In times when my spirit is under attack by the Enemy to such an extent that I begin to wonder if You are still there, I need to be quieted by Your love. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In times of discouragement when I have failed to live like You have asked me to live, I need to be quieted by Your love. In times of disappointment over dreams that have faded and when other people have failed to live up to my expectations, I need to be quieted by Your love. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In times of loss and my heart has been broken, I need to be quieted by your love. In times of sadness when a joyful spirit seems too much to consider, I need to be quieted by Your love. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In times of suffering and pain as the result of another's actions or my own, I need to be quieted by Your love. In times when others are suffering because of my actions and I am helpless to undo what I have done, I need to be quieted by Your love. And they need to be quieted by Your love. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"In times of distress and anxiety over all that I must do, or feel that I must do, I need to be quieted by Your love. In times when life is so loud that I cannot hear my own thoughts, I need to be quieted by Your love. Lord, please quiet me with Your love.
"Unless You quiet me with Your love, dear Lord, my life will surely be filled with noises that may drown Your voice from my ears. Lord, I need to be quieted by Your love.
"When I remind myself that You are with me, when I contemplate Your power, when I consider that You take great delight in me and when I think of You rejoicing over me with singing because of Your love for me, I am quieted. My heart is quieted. My spirit rests.
"Lord, You have quieted me with Your love."
"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." (Zephaniah 3:17)

Cast All Your Cares On Him By Dr. Ann Shorb
I Peter 5:7 - "casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."
Recently I had a conversation with a friend. It was one of those conversations I will not soon forget, because it was a time when I was able to pour out my heart to her and share some of the things that I have been thinking about - those deep things that you do not share with anyone but a good, close friend - someone you trust.
There are times when we pray and we long to pour out our heart to God, but for whatever reason we feel we cannot. I would encourage you to talk to God just like you would talk to that good, close friend - the one with whom you can pour out your heart and be completely unafraid.
We read in Hebrews 4:15-16, "For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin." That verse is telling us that Jesus Christ, our High Priest, is a feeling person, and He can feel our pain and our infirmities. He was tempted like we are, and He knows what it is like. The next verse goes on, "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."
As you pray, I encourage you to go boldly before the throne of God. Tell Him the things that are on your heart. Tell Him your hurts and your pains, your disappointments, the things you struggle with, the things that you are tempted by. Do not hesitate. Do not think, "Well I can't tell God this. He doesn't want to hear it." He already knows anyway.
You know, it was said of Martin Luther, the famous theologian, that when he began his prayers, he prayed with such repentance that you almost felt sorry for him. But then as he labored on in prayer, he prayed with such boldness that you almost feared for him because he spoke to God so boldly. He shared with God everything that was on his heart - his anger, his hurt, his pain, even at times his disappointments with God.
We can do that (reverently, of course). Why? Because in I Peter 5:7 it says, "Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." God gives us permission to come boldly, to cast our cares on Him. My friend, I encourage you to do that. Come boldly before His throne. Tell Him everything just as you would a good, close friend, and enjoy the release of knowing that He cares and that He can do something about it. When you get down to it, God is much better than a good, close human friend because as fellow fallen humans, they can - and will eventually - fail you - and they really don't have the power to change your circumstances anyway. But God - as God, and not a mere human, does. Cast your cares on Him - trusting Him to take care of everything in the way He deems best for you. He cares for you.

Loving God
Be with us as we seek after
Justice and Peace
Here on earth.
And when our life on earth is ended
Let our restless hearts find rest in you
From whom we came forth in love
And to whom we return in joy
Forever and ever.
Amen

Read Through The Bible
Esther 10
Mordecai’s Advancement
1 And King Ahasuerus imposed tribute on the land and on the islands of the sea. 2 Now all the acts of his power and his might, and the account of the greatness of Mordecai, to which the king advanced him, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Media and Persia? 3 For Mordecai the Jew was second to King Ahasuerus, and was great among the Jews and well received by the multitude of his brethren, seeking the good of his people and speaking peace to all his countrymen.

Dear Lord, I thank You for this day. I thank You for my being able to see and to hear this morning. I'm blessed because You are a forgiving God and an understanding God. You have done so much for me and You keep on blessing me. Forgive me this day for everything I have done, said or thought that was not pleasing to you. I ask now for Your forgiveness. Please keep me safe from all danger and harm. Help me to start this day with a new attitude and plenty of gratitude. Let me make the best of each and every day to clear my mind so that I can hear from You. Please broaden my mind that I can accept all things. Let me not whine and whimper over things I have no control over. Let me continue to see sin through God's eyes and acknowledge it as evil. And when I sin, let me repent, and confess with my mouth my wrong doing, and receive the forgiveness of God.
And when this world closes in on me, let me remember Jesus' example - to slip away and find a quiet place to pray. It's the best response when I'm pushed beyond my limits. I know that when I can't pray, You listen to my heart. Continue to use me to do Your will. Continue to bless me that I may be a blessing to others. Keep me strong that I may help the weak. Keep me uplifted that I may have words of encouragement for others. I pray for those that are lost and can't find their way. I pray for those that are misjudged and misunderstood. I pray for those who don't know You intimately. I pray for those that don't believe. But I thank you that I believe.
I believe that God changes people and God changes things. I pray for all my sisters and brothers. For each and every family member in their households. I pray for peace, love and joy in their homes that they are out of debt and all their needs are met. I pray that every eye that reads this knows there is no problem, circumstance, or situation greater than God. Every battle is in Your hands for You to fight. I pray that these words be received into the hearts of every eye that sees them and every mouth that confesses them willingly. This is my prayer. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply