Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 8/9

God wants to comfort us so that we are then able to pass on God’s comfort to another. Our wonderful God works through imperfect people like you and me. Even in our brokenness we can serve God. Even our pain can be a gift when we receive God’s comfort and pass it on to another.

When we allow God to make our hearts tender, we become able to forgive.

When we are beyond hope, God is waiting to encourage us.

Sometimes it seems the darkness has overcome us; but when we call out, God can lift us up above the darkness so that we can experience the light.

Even when others forsake us, we can still trust God.

When we need a reminder of God’s love, review how God has blessed us in the past.

When we return to God, accept His forgiveness, and change our ways, He gives us a fresh start.

STOMPING ANTS by Steve May
Clinical neuroscientist Daniel G. Amen says, "Don't believe everything you hear -- even in your own mind."
Most of the negative things we "hear" in a given day are never spoken audibly. They're the things we say to ourselves.
Dr. Amen refers to them as ANTs: Automatic Negative Thoughts. We all have them: "This won't work. This deadline won't be met. God isn't listening to my prayer. I can't follow this diet. I can't get organized." And on and on.
Dr. Amen tells us that we need to get in the habit of stomping these ANTs, and replacing them with positive, uplifting thoughts. It's a difficult habit to develop, but the believer has an advantage. You've got God on your side. You know that he has plans for you, that he has given you a future and a hope, that he is causing all things to work together for good so that he can finish the work he began in you. (Jeremiah 29:11; Romans 8:28; Philippians 1:6)
This means that you can turn an ANT into an ACT -- an Automatic Christ-like Thought. Instead of telling yourself the worst all day long, remind yourself that God is in control, that his arm is not too short to save, and that he will lead you where you need to go.
The result is that this Automatic Christ-like Thought really does become an ACT ... because what you think ultimately leads to what you do.
That's why Paul said...
"Be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Romans 12:1)
New thoughts lead to new actions. New actions lead to transformation. So spend the day stomping ants and replacing them with acts. --SM

LORD, KILL THE SPIDER by Dick Innes
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:1-2)
Last Sunday our pastor told an interesting story and, had it not been serious, it would have been funny. He told about a fellow in a support group who for months on end kept praying about a personal problem but never did anything about it. Week after week he would pray with seemingly great conviction, "Oh God, clean the cobwebs out of my life... clean the cobwebs out of my life!"
Finally, in utter frustration the leader of the group broke into the man's prayer and prayed rather boisterously, "Oh God, KILL THE SPIDER!"
I can identify with this leader in that I, too, know of people who have been confessing the same sin and/or problem for years, asking God for deliverance but never doing anything about it.
If we are struggling with a besetting sin or bad habit, what can we do about it? Certainly pray and ask God for deliverance - but also pray that he will show us the root cause of our problem because, more often than not, our repetitive failures are the fruit of a deeper root. God not only wants to deliver us from habitual sins but also free us from the deeper root cause.
Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you that you have already done for me what I couldn't do for myself in that you gave your Son, Jesus, to die for and free me from a life of sin and failure. Please help me to see the root cause of my besetting sin or problem [name it] and help me to find the help I need to overcome. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

Help In Time Of Need by The Vine
Having eyes, don't you see? Having ears, don't you hear? Don't you remember? - Mark 8:18
Why were we given eyes if they are not for seeing with? It was not unreasonable that Jesus expected His disciples to apply their spiritual eyes to understand His spiritual teachings. They had eyes with which they might have seen spiritual things, yet they failed to use them. “Having eyes, don't you see?”
Many people never learn to see much with their natural eyes. They walk through a natural habitat and fail to recognize anything of beauty. In every wild flower and in every blade of grass there should be enough beauty to fill even the dullest heart with amazement. This is more true in spiritual things: we walk in a world full of the glories of God's love and yet how much do we see of God's amazing creation? At best, in this world we only see through a darkened glass. Shouldn't we train our eyes to see?
There was another wonderful skill which the disciples did not use. This was memory. “Don't you remember?” They remembered the facts of the miracles, but failed to recall the spiritual lessons. They had forgotten the spiritual meaning of the miracles.
This is the way all of us are too much alike. We remember the things God has done for us in the past, but we fail to draw the lessons from these experiences which they are meant to teach us -- we fail to profit from the experience. Every deliverance in time of danger, every help in time of need, ought to impress upon our hearts our need to trust in the Lord. When we come again to similar points of need or danger, we ought not to be afraid, but, remembering how God helped us before, should believe that He will give us the same help in the new experiences.

Her Name is Tilley by Sharon Niese
She walked slowly into the beautiful church. She had dressed in her best dress and her favorite hat. A slight smile touched her lips. She was in God’s house, and she was so happy. She had no idea that her coat smelled of moth balls and the hat was stained.
Heads turned toward her and whispers were going strong in the congregation.
Tilley put her head down and walked to a pew to sit down. When she sat down, a couple got up and moved. It was as if everyone in the place was looking at her. How she wished Sharon would hurry up.
Sharon walked into the church with a warm smile that soon faded. She saw Tilley sitting alone in a pew with tears rolling down her cheeks. Sharon sat down and put her arm around Tilley and held her close.
She whispered to Tilley, “We can leave if you want. We don’t need to stay here.”
Tilley shook her head. She had dressed up and come to church and she was going to stay.
By now the pastor noticed the stir in the church and looked around. He soon became well aware of what was going on. He walked to the back of the church to welcome both Tilley and Sharon. He leaned over and asked Tilley, “Would you ladies do me the honor of sitting in the front pew with me?”
A shine entered into Tilley’s eyes and she nodded.
The music had started and it was just beautiful. Tilley was now so glad she had stayed.
After the music stopped, Sharon leaned over to ask the Pastor a question.
He smiled and said, “Please do.”
Sharon stood in front of the church and squared her shoulders. “Today is a very special day for Tilley; it is her birthday and she is 90 years young. All she wanted for her birthday was to go to church. We picked this one out for it is lovely. I want to personally thank each of you for your kindness.”
One could have heard a pin drop.
The Pastor stood and walked to the pulpit. He looked over the congregation and said, “I had a sermon all ready for today but I do believe I need to change it. Today we need to go to Hebrews 13:1 & 2.”
He read the Scripture loud and clear. Once again he looked at the congregation and said, “I hope each and every one of you goes home and think on not only this Scripture but how Christ-like you acted today. May God go with you all.”
Sharon and Tilley stood to leave and he walked over to them and gave each of them a hug. “Tilley, I pray that you have a blessed birthday and I so thank you for coming here and sharing your day with us. I also thank you for showing all of us a hard lesson, one we needed to learn."
Hebrews 13:1-2: “Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers, by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.”

LOOK WHO'S HERE by Vance Havner
Don't you think Moses, after a discouraging day, may have pulled open his tent flap to see the pillar of fire high in the sky and said, "Everything's fine. LOOK WHO'S HERE."
And what about Daniel, charter member of the Lion's Club. He laid his head on the mane of a lion and said, "I'm not afraid. LOOK WHO'S HERE."
King Nebuchadnezzar had those three fellas thrown in the fire but when he looked down he saw four. Shadrach and Company were just fine. "LOOK WHO'S HERE."
And what about Elijah? Water was scarce and still he ordered twelve barrels to be poured upon the altar. God or Baal? Choose you this day whom ye will serve! Ol' Elijah just chuckled to himself and said, "LOOK WHO'S HERE."
David, the shepherd boy who would become King, looked at Goliath, loaded his slingshot, and said, "Your time's up. LOOK WHO'S HERE."
Remember when Walter Cronkite signed off every evening with, "And that's the way it is." A preacher friend of mine would say "No, Walter, that's not the way it is, that's just the way it looks. LOOK WHO'S HERE."
Lazarus had been dead four days when Jesus said "roll the stone away." But Lazarus walked out of that tomb because Almighty God turned death on its heels and said "LOOK WHO'S HERE."
One of these days, "it may be at morn when the day is awakened, it may be at midday, it may be at twilight, it may be per chance in the blackness of midnight" - in one mighty shout around the world we will look up and cry "Hallelujah! He's back! LOOK WHO'S HERE!"

The Bear by Lynne Phipps
We spotted them along the side of the roadway. They were year old cubs. Their mother was nowhere in sight. There were two of them and as they saw the van they both began to run. One of them headed deep into the scrub. The other ran and hid behind a sapling. Thinking we could no longer see him, he tentatively peeked out from behind the scanty foliage. What a sight. This chubby black bear sticking out like a sore thumb from behind this skinny excuse for a tree, thinking we couldn't see him. We both burst out laughing at this hilarious spectacle.
This remembrance has often caused me to wonder just how often God gets just such a kick out of watching me, as I too, much like Jonah run away from Him and what he has called me to do. I shrug off a command I have read in Scripture. I turn away from a plea which I know I should answer. I decide to get serious about spiritual discipline later, not today; I'm too busy, or too scared or simply not interested just now. I think I can hide from God, he won't see, he won't know. What a laugh.
"Then the LORD sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up." (v. 4) "Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm." (v. 15) "But the LORD provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights." (Vs 17)
God knew where Jonah was every single minute. Jonah thought he could hide but he couldn't and neither can we.
Am I, are you, attempting to hide from God today? If so perhaps we should rethink our situation before God decides to take action and it's no longer a laughing matter.
Suggested Prayer: Father God, thank you that we cannot hide from you. Thank you that you know where we are every single moment and that your patience and mercy are great amidst our foolishness. Help us to listen and to obey you, to know that whatever it is you are asking of us is for our good and not our woe. Bless us with courage to answer your call before you need to take action to move us along. In Christ's name we pray. Amen.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
Stay grounded in the truth of My Word, says the Lord. You are in a time of acceleration when many things can happen in a relatively short period of time. But, you must exercise your discernment in your pursuits to know what is real and good. You must learn the difference between treasure and junk both spiritually and in the natural. Otherwise, you will find yourself distracted from the path of My pleasure. Stay the course. Psalms 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

When you need wisdom, listen for My voice and direction. The problem you will encounter is that there are too many voices--too many opinions that are conflicting, and it's hard to know who to listen to. Let Me lead you and direct your steps, and then peace will reign in your heart. You can trust Me to show you the way that will bring about all that is in your best interests and fulfill your purpose in My kingdom, says the Lord. Ephesians 1:11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will.

Stand your ground and refuse to give in to the temptation to either be offended because of accusation, or to offend by accusing someone else. Watch out for a haughty spirit that will cause you to make comparisons between yourself and others or to dump down into jealousy. The open door in your own heart is insecurity with regard to who you are and where you stand. But, I tell you truly, that there is no need to be insecure because you belong to Me. Find your proper place in unity with Me, which will lead to unity with others, says the Lord. 2 Corinthians 10:12 For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

Take it slow and easy. Do not be hasty, but rather be thorough, and I will lead you through this maze of confusion and chaos into a solid victory, says the Lord. Be deliberate in your decisions by choosing righteousness, peace and joy in My Spirit. Pay attention to the checks in your spirit man that require you to stop before you make a mistake in judgment or put yourself in harm's way. I am with you to direct and protect you. Trust Me. Romans 14:17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

You will be dealing with things that need to come into order, and you must pay attention to details for this process to be smooth. You cannot rush through the things that need your attention if you want good results from your efforts. Be humble and refuse the temptation to jump to conclusions or allow presumption to take you off course. Take responsibility for your own mistakes instead of trying to blame someone else. Let Me lead you, says the Lord. Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
This, My people, is a time of recovery. Rise up now to your kingdom position and recover all that the enemy has stolen from you. Forget that which is behind, for those things will do nothing but hinder you, says the Lord. I have a higher place to take you, a place in the spirit realm where I will impart more wisdom and revelation, but you cannot be bound to the former things. You cannot be bound to past disappointments and heartaches. I say, shake off the dust of defilement, rejection, and abuse. Rise up to become that which I have called you to be, and prosper in all things as you turn your eyes upon Me and worship with a whole heart. Lift up holy hands and declare My purposes. The seed of the kingdom is within you; allow it to manifest, grow, and mature.

Change Me by Nancy Burr
I sat upon the hard cold floor
and from my eyes the tears did pour.
I bowed my head and tried to pray
but I couldn't express what I had to say.
I felt like no one cared for me
as I sat there leaning on my knee.
But I didn't give up so I tried again
to ask God to take all this pain.
I know He heard my every plea
but still the pain just stayed with me.
I know He sat right by my side
as I bowed my head and cried.
I still have faith that He loves me
and I know with Him I want to be.
But at that time I did not feel
His gentle touch reach down and heal.
I must admit it didn't feel right
and the pain stayed with me to the night.
I kept on calling, "Please help me,
Please take this pain and set me free."
But God had other plans that day,
He did not rush the pain away.
He had me thinking all day long
about why my life goes so wrong.
I kept on thinking of my life,
and wondering why I face such strife.
I questioned God throughout the day
about the things that come my way.
I told Him, "I don't understand,
I cannot see what you have planned.
Please show me Lord I need to know
If all this pain will ever go".
All day long I prayed and cried,
I wanted to run away and hide.
Confusion seemed to fill my mind,
peace and joy I could not find.
Something held me back that day
but for this to change I must obey.
So I turned to God and said, "Change me"
and suddenly my heart felt free.
I knew He never left my side,
from me my God would never hide.
Beside me He will always stay
if I just follow and obey.
He waited paitently for me
and He opened up my eyes to see....
That no matter what I face each day
He'll never guide me the wrong way.
I still have struggles in my life,
but alone I'll never face the strife.
I trusted Him and He changed me,
He took the pain and set me free.
He'd never turn His back on me,
through good and bad with me He'll be.
I know He loves me O so much
and late that day I felt His touch.

Turn To The Father by Nancy Burr
Sadness and sorrow are part of this life,
Many days are filled with much strife.
We think that by hiding the hurts that we face,
That life will be fine if we keep up with the pace.
Sometimes though we just have to admit,
That a problem won't vanish if we try to forget.
We must stop pretending that all is just fine,
We must start trusting in the Great One Divine.
Jesus can help you forget all your fears,
And He can wash away all your tears.
Just call out to Him wherever you are,
Cause one thing we know is that He's never far.
He's waiting for you to call out His name,
He'll take all your worries, your sin and your shame.
He'll take your sadness, His joy will fill you,
He'll give you the strength that you need to get through.
So on those days when you just can't cope,
Turn to the Father and He'll give you hope.

Sing for joy, O heavens, and exult, O earth; break forth, O mountains, into singing! For the Lord has comforted his people, and will have compassion on his suffering ones. Isaiah 49:13

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

Jesus said, “I have come into the world as a light, so that everyone who believes in me should not stay in darkness.” John 12:46

Jesus [said], “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

I tell you positively: if anyone says to that mountain, 'Up with you and down into the sea!' and does not let a doubt rise in his mind, but believes that what he says will come true, it shall be as he desires. Mark 11:23

Humility is the fear of the Lord; its wages are riches and honor and life. Proverbs 22:4

3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. 4 Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. 5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. 8 This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. Proverbs 3:3-7

God's Timetable, Not Ours Author Unknown
I heard a story which illustrates how we often confuse God's timing with ours. A country newspaper had been running a series of articles on the value of church attendance.
One day, a letter to the editor was received in the newspaper office. It read, "Print this if you dare. I have been trying an experiment. I have a field of corn which I plowed on Sunday. I planted it on Sunday. I did all the cultivating on Sunday. I gathered the harvest on Sunday and hauled it to my barn on Sunday. I find that my harvest this October is just as great as any of my neighbors' who went to church on Sunday. So where was God all this time?"
The editor printed the letter, but added his reply at the bottom. "Your mistake was in thinking that God always settles his accounts in October."
That's often our mistake as well, isn't it - thinking that God should act when and how we want him to act, according to our timetable rather than his. The fact that our vision is limited, finite, unable to see the end from the beginning, somehow escapes our mind. So we complain; we get frustrated; we accuse God of being indifferent to us.
That's when God gently reminds us that... "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts". (Isaiah 55:8-9)
God's timetable is perfect. He will do exactly what is best for us - in His own time - according to his wonderful plans for us, because He loves us so much. Wait! Be patient! His clock may show a different time than our clock, but it's the right one.

Dear God, Help us to understand how our attitudes and choices affect what happens in the world around us. Lead us today to someone who needs your strengthening word. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
1 Chronicles 11
David Becomes King Over Israel
1 All Israel came together to David at Hebron and said, “We are your own flesh and blood. 2 In the past, even while Saul was king, you were the one who led Israel on their military campaigns. And the Lord your God said to you, ‘You will shepherd my people Israel, and you will become their ruler.’” 3 When all the elders of Israel had come to King David at Hebron, he made a covenant with them at Hebron before the Lord, and they anointed David king over Israel, as the Lord had promised through Samuel.
David Conquers Jerusalem
4 David and all the Israelites marched to Jerusalem (that is, Jebus). The Jebusites who lived there 5 said to David, “You will not get in here.” Nevertheless, David captured the fortress of Zion—which is the City of David.
6 David had said, “Whoever leads the attack on the Jebusites will become commander-in-chief.” Joab son of Zeruiah went up first, and so he received the command. 7 David then took up residence in the fortress, and so it was called the City of David. 8 He built up the city around it, from the terraces to the surrounding wall, while Joab restored the rest of the city. 9 And David became more and more powerful, because the Lord Almighty was with him.
David’s Mighty Warriors
10 These were the chiefs of David’s mighty warriors—they, together with all Israel, gave his kingship strong support to extend it over the whole land, as the Lord had promised— 11 this is the list of David’s mighty warriors: Jashobeam, a Hakmonite, was chief of the officers; he raised his spear against three hundred men, whom he killed in one encounter. 12 Next to him was Eleazar son of Dodai the Ahohite, one of the three mighty warriors. 13 He was with David at Pas Dammim when the Philistines gathered there for battle. At a place where there was a field full of barley, the troops fled from the Philistines. 14 But they took their stand in the middle of the field. They defended it and struck the Philistines down, and the Lord brought about a great victory. 15 Three of the thirty chiefs came down to David to the rock at the cave of Adullam, while a band of Philistines was encamped in the Valley of Rephaim. 16 At that time David was in the stronghold, and the Philistine garrison was at Bethlehem. 17 David longed for water and said, “Oh, that someone would get me a drink of water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem!” 18 So the Three broke through the Philistine lines, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem and carried it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out to the Lord. 19 “God forbid that I should do this!” he said. “Should I drink the blood of these men who went at the risk of their lives?” Because they risked their lives to bring it back, David would not drink it. Such were the exploits of the three mighty warriors. 20 Abishai the brother of Joab was chief of the Three. He raised his spear against three hundred men, whom he killed, and so he became as famous as the Three. 21 He was doubly honored above the Three and became their commander, even though he was not included among them. 22 Benaiah son of Jehoiada, a valiant fighter from Kabzeel, performed great exploits. He struck down Moab’s two mightiest warriors. He also went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion. 23 And he struck down an Egyptian who was five cubits tall. Although the Egyptian had a spear like a weaver’s rod in his hand, Benaiah went against him with a club. He snatched the spear from the Egyptian’s hand and killed him with his own spear. 24 Such were the exploits of Benaiah son of Jehoiada; he too was as famous as the three mighty warriors. 25 He was held in greater honor than any of the Thirty, but he was not included among the Three. And David put him in charge of his bodyguard. 26 The mighty warriors were: Asahel the brother of Joab, Elhanan son of Dodo from Bethlehem, 27 Shammoth the Harorite, Helez the Pelonite, 28 Ira son of Ikkesh from Tekoa, Abiezer from Anathoth, 29 Sibbekai the Hushathite, Ilai the Ahohite, 30 Maharai the Netophathite, Heled son of Baanah the Netophathite, 31 Ithai son of Ribai from Gibeah in Benjamin, Benaiah the Pirathonite, 32 Hurai from the ravines of Gaash, Abiel the Arbathite, 33 Azmaveth the Baharumite, Eliahba the Shaalbonite, 34 the sons of Hashem the Gizonite, Jonathan son of Shagee the Hararite, 35 Ahiam son of Sakar the Hararite, Eliphal son of Ur, 36 Hepher the Mekerathite, Ahijah the Pelonite, 37 Hezro the Carmelite, Naarai son of Ezbai, 38 Joel the brother of Nathan, Mibhar son of Hagri, 39 Zelek the Ammonite, Naharai the Berothite, the armor-bearer of Joab son of Zeruiah, 40 Ira the Ithrite, Gareb the Ithrite, 41 Uriah the Hittite, Zabad son of Ahlai, 42 Adina son of Shiza the Reubenite, who was chief of the Reubenites, and the thirty with him, 43 Hanan son of Maakah, Joshaphat the Mithnite, 44 Uzzia the Ashterathite, Shama and Jeiel the sons of Hotham the Aroerite, 45 Jediael son of Shimri, his brother Joha the Tizite, 46 Eliel the Mahavite, Jeribai and Joshaviah the sons of Elnaam, Ithmah the Moabite, 47 Eliel, Obed and Jaasiel the Mezobaite.

O God, Help us to continue to put our trust in you and the hope you have given us in Jesus Christ. Thank you for lighting our path. We can walk into the future because you are our light. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply