Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 5/17

Only God can satisfy our spiritual thirst and give us eternal life.

Whenever I hear Jesus described as a shepherd, I smile. We humans are like those difficult, wandering sheep — the ones who need so much care and tending, the ones who get lost so easily and need to be rounded up and brought back by a caring shepherd. How patient and kind shepherds have to be! But isn’t that how Christ is with us, always willing to seek us and bring us back to the fold? When we stray and get lost, Christ loves us enough to look for us and bring us home. --Abigail Gary

God gives us the strength we need—one day at a time.

Knowing God brings us joy here and now.

God is never too busy for us; are we too busy for God?

A steady diet of God’s word will keep us growing.

A person is never too young; a person is never too old to serve God.

Rounds by Sally Kennedy
In our back yard we have a bird feeder. Since I try to attract cardinals, I keep them filled with sunflower seeds. Early in the mornings, or late in the afternoons, the birds make their rounds. Seems as if they spend all their time looking for food. From one place to another, they are continually hunting for something to eat.
We sometimes make the rounds looking for spiritual “food”. We go from place to place, from New Age literature to Zen, trying to find something that will satisfy us.
But nothing seems to. Except the Bible. We don’t have to settle for just anything in our searching for spiritual nourishment. The Word of God is right in front of us all the time.
There’s a saying,”Don’t read just any book, read the best”. Spiritually speaking,we have a smorgasbord of the best food available to us in the Bible. We can literally feast to our hearts’ content, and be glad we did!
Do I make use of the very best “food” there is? Not nearly enough. Thank God we have it! Today I'm resolving to go there first.....before I make the rounds.

Your Safe Place by Tom
“The National Weather Service has issued a tornado warning for your area.” Those were the words from the computerized voice awakening me from a peaceful sleep at about 2:30 AM. I listened. Checked the time. Got up to see what happening. As I stepped out on the front porch there was an eerie quiet with only the sound of a storm warning horns in the distance. Although not usually unnerved by weather events, this one seemed different so I turned on the television tuned to the local station to see their weather screen lit up with severe storms moving across the area. Within in minutes the forecaster pinpointed an area not far to the east of us and issued this statement: “If you live in this area it is time for you to get to your safe place.”
Sure enough the morning light revealed significant damage had been done by a number of tornados that had moved through the area and touched down in a number of places. Along with one life lost, trees were twisted and tossed like toothpicks. The roofs of homes and businesses were torn off and tossed aside.
(As I write this storms are beginning to move through our area with similar concerns, and thousands in the Northeast are without power due to the latest snow storm, and thousands more are still without power or homeless because of another storm 100 days ago.)
When I hear the exhortation from the weather person to, “Get to your safe place!” I am reminded of other times in my life when I have received similar encouragement. Like when the nurse said, “You need to get to our office NOW!” And when the doctor said, “You need to have the surgery as soon as possible.” And another said, “You need to go to bed and stay for a while.” There is wisdom in hearing and heeding the warnings from doctors, nurses, and weather forecasters when they tell you get to your safe place.
There is even greater wisdom in knowing that we have a spiritual safe place where we can always go when the storm is raging, or when life is calm. God is our safe place. Consider these words from Scripture.
2 Samuel 22:2-4 (NIV84) He said: “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
from violent men you save me. I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.
Psalm 18:1-3 (NIV84) I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies.
Psalm 62:6-8 (NIV83) He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah
Psalm 91:1-3 (NIV84) He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence.
Psalm 144:1-3 (NIV84) Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me. O Lord, what is man that you care for him, the son of man that you think of him?
You have a safe place? When the storms of life are raging, He is a safe place. When the weather is really bad the forecasters may say, “Do not hesitate. Now is the time to get to your safe place.” In life, the urgency is even greater. “Do not hesitate. Go to your safe place now.” He is there. You will be safe.

It Is Time To Rest by Tom
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, NIV84)
It has been a long full week. Pressures at work have been even more intense than usual. Deadlines are getting closer. Conversations are getting more strained. Because of the pressures at work your home life is suffering. It is time to rest.
The weekend was great! Traveled for hours for a time of spiritual refreshment. The schedule was full. The emotions were all over the place. You were refreshed, revived and restored. And your energy was depleted. It is time to rest.
Your vacation was the vacation of your dreams. You did everything you had dreamed of doing. You went everywhere you had ever hoped to go. You saw things up close that you had only seen in photographs. Now it is over. Now it is time to rest.
You have not had a day away from the children in weeks. You and your husband have not had a real date in months. You are tired. You are frazzled. You are on the brink. It is time to rest.
You have studied for the test for months. You have not taken a break in days. You keep thinking once you get beyond the test you take some time off, but it seems like an eternity away. It is time to rest.
We push. We shove. We put stress on ourselves. We feel pressure from others. We deal with it. We don’t deal with it. We ignore it. We try to pretend that it does not exist. It does.
We talk about rest. We think about rest. We talk about how much we need to rest. We talk about how difficult it is to find time to rest. We talk about the consequences of not taking time to rest.
Jesus’ words are an invitation that we need to heed. The words are more than just nice sounding words. The words are a promise that that there is a better way. The words promise that with God’s help life can be lived at a different pace, a better pace, an easier pace, and a healthier pace.
The words are good words and wise words. But unless we hear and heed the words they will always be just words. Jesus invites us to rest. Jesus is inviting you to rest. Is it time for rest for your soul?

Someone To Pour Your Life Into Author Unknown
Howard Hendricks, author and professor at Dallas Theological Seminary, suggests that every person should seek to have three individuals in their life: a Paul, a Barnabas, and a Timothy.
A Paul is an older person who is willing to mentor you, to build into your life. Not someone who's smarter or more gifted than you, but somebody who's been down the road. Somebody willing to share their strengths and weaknesses – everything they have learned in the laboratory of life. Somebody whose faith you'll want to imitate.
A Barnabas is a soul brother, somebody who loves you but is not impressed by you. Somebody to whom you can be accountable. Somebody who's willing to keep you honest, who's willing to say, "Hey, man, you're neglecting your wife, and don't give me any guff!"
A Timothy is a younger person into whose life you are building. For a model, read 1 and 2 Timothy. Here was Paul, the quintessential mentor, building into the life of his protégée - affirming, encouraging, teaching, correcting, directing, praying.
Do you have these three guys in your life?
"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up!" (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10)

I will not leave you as orphans but will come to you..... John 14:18
Alone in the Valley by Sally I. Kennedy
Let’s face it. There are times, when we walk through situations and seasons in our lives, when we are lonely. We even feel very much alone. No one is exempt. It’s just part of life.
I recall walking through one of these valleys. That 'alone' feeling would quietly creep up and unexpectedly pounce, sometimes seemingly from out of nowhere, sort of like being slammed by a wave.
I would rather be on a mountain top experiece; I love those seasons. Yet I’ve learned most of life is lived somewhere in-between. And I’ve learned it’s all good. And, it’s all a gift.
All the years my dad lived alone, after mom died, I would often say to him, “I don’t like you being alone on Sundays (or a holiday, or birthday)” and he would always say, “I’m not alone! Jesus is right here with me.” He said it so often, that the reality of that finally began to sink in. In every way, Jesus was his companion, there at the house, right there with him.
As I’ve thought about this, the beautiful beloved 23rd Psalm came to mind, where David says,
Even though I walk through the valley …….You are with me.
We all have been, or will be, in a valley season during our life journeys. It is beautiful beyond belief, and peaceful beyond our finite mind’s comprehension, to know and sense the truth of the words in the Bible, that bring comfort and healing.
In the valley I may feel lonely, but am I alone? Not really; Jesus is with me. He’s right here with me.

"Forgiven?" by Bob Perks
It's become a ritual for me. Once a year I go through the closet in my mind and force myself to be "forgiven."
I guess that sounds like I've done a lot of bad things in my life. Well, some. But mostly I deal with bad memories of things I've done. Let me explain.
There are things in our lives that we say or do that perhaps at some level we regret. The ones we deal with immediately often times get buried or forgotten completely because we deal with them emotionally and maybe even ask for forgiveness right then and there.
But there are issues in many lives that never go away. Little hurtful actions on our part that are sometimes triggered by current events. Days when we are depressed or disappointed in the way things are going in our lives we methodically return to that mental file we keep handy. You know, the one you call upon every time you criticize yourself and subconsciously re-enforce the negative image that holds you back.
"Boy, am I stupid!" "I'm just no good at this!" "I'm such a klutz!" "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!"
Sound familiar? Most of us do it everyday.
But yesterday was my day of redemption. I normally hang an American flag in front of my home. It's up through most of the good weather months, not just on national holidays. In fact, I wear them out as they become faded and torn. I need a new one this year. I'm proud to be an American. Don't get me started on that. I'll have to pull out the soap box and sing "God Bless America!"
But on this special day I hang a flag that I struggle with. It is my Easter flag that bears a Golden Cross and the word "Forgiven" on it.
The first time I placed it in the holder I couldn't look up at the passing cars. In my mind, every person I've ever done wrong or hurt in some way, was driving by at that moment. I could hear them say, "Who does he think he is? I haven't forgiven him!"
The odd thing is for weeks afterwards people asked us where they could get one. They too wanted the world to know that they were forgiven.
This year, as I prepared the flag, I carried with it all of my negative images. I mentally wrapped them inside and as the flag unfurled I saw them blow away in the wind.
The wind that took them away, I believe, is the last breath of Jesus Christ as He died upon the cross so that I could hang that flag with my head held high this year.
Some people may not have yet forgiven me. But the One who matters did.
My Challenge to You... No matter what faith you have or don't, I believe that there is an element of forgiving and being forgiven in every human spirit. They say that forgiving frees the forgiver. Take a sheet of paper and write the word "Forgiven" on it. Sit for a time and hold it in your hands. Think about what that means and then accept it. What is it that you feel at that moment? If you cannot forgive yourself, then you know what is holding you back from happiness and life itself. If you are confident enough, place it where you and all of your family, perhaps even your co-workers can see it. Hang it in a window for all the world to see.
Or even more powerful, send it to someone you have never forgiven and set yourself free.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
Know, My beloved, that I have been with you and protected you; even carried you in times when you were not able. Discouragement is not an option. Faith and trust will sustain you and open the door to victory. Be courageous and strong. Refuse to let your circumstances take you down the slippery slope of despair, says the Lord. Psalms 20:2 May He send you help from the sanctuary, and strengthen you out of Zion.

If you will pay close attention, you will see that you are experiencing vital, life-changing opportunities that will give greater spiritual perspective. These times are to be valued and not wasted. Embrace and optimize every chance given to grow in wisdom and understanding, as well as to advance in the spirit realm, says the Lord, and be grateful. Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.

The time of change has come. You will never be the same again, but I have things to teach and to show you that you could not have received until now. These will be times to remember and to cherish even though they seem to be beyond your ability to fully deal with presently, says the Lord. It's not your power that will bring you through; it is Mine! Zechariah 4:6b "Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit," Says the LORD of hosts.

I would have you, My people, walk in sincerity and without pretense. Be who you are in Me, and that will allow the manifestation of My Spirit to flow through you unhindered. However, if you are afraid to be rejected and seek acceptance and approval, those around you will only see your insecurity even when you try to be religious. These are times when you can experience greater freedom on all levels, says the Lord. 1 Timothy 1:5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
The Spirit of the Lord is speaking to me about these days of destiny before us, and He is calling them "defining days." He says to you, watch for defining days, for there are not a few but many in the weeks and the months before you. Watch now because He has saved the best for last, and in His defining moments He will restore and equip His church to walk in the fullness of His power. God is bringing forth a glorious church without spot or wrinkle. Besetting sins will fall by the wayside and drop off. Get ready to get free of those things you've struggled with.

The Garden by Nancy Burr
I walked out in the garden
A little past three.
And there right before me
Up in the old oak tree.
Were two squirrels playing
Jumping with delight.
And a bird with all her babies,
O what a lovely sight!
I walked a little further
Then I saw a butterfly.
It spread it wings and fluttered by
Heading towards the sky.
The sky looked beautiful
So bright and so blue.
The sun was shining down on me
And it made me think of You.
I stood there in that moment
And a cloud came passing by.
I thought I saw You in that cloud
As I looked up to the sky.
I saw a kind and gentle face
A smile I did see.
And in that moment I felt You were
Looking down at me.
I kept on looking upward
I didn’t want You to go.
But then in just an instant
The wind started to blow.
Your face vanished from me
And the clear sky came to stay.
But in my heart I knew dear Lord
You were not far away.
I know that You are watching me,
Although You’re out of sight.
No matter where I go each day
You hold my hand so tight.
I walked out of the garden
With so much joy inside!
I felt such peace and happiness
With You right by my side!

Rain Down by Nancy Burr
Lord bring the smile back to me
in good time and bad.
Remind me Lord that you love me
when I feel down and sad.
Fill me with joy and laughter too
on days when I can’t cope.
Rain down on me and fill me Lord
with your amazing hope.
Life has been filled with twists and turns
just like I knew it would.
But on some days I just don’t see
things as I know I should.
I get discouraged, lose my hope
I try to run away.
I do not always trust in You
and try to live my way.
But now my head is spinning fast
nothing is going right.
I need you Lord to help me through
each day and each long night.
I need to trust in You again
so hope can fill my life.
So Lord I freely give to you
all my pain and strife.
I release them all to You
each problem that I face.
Teach me to do your will O God
and all my fears erase.
I know I’m safe in Your hands Lord
although I cannot see.
I know Your ways are always right
and You’ll always stay with me.
Rain down on me your awesome love,
rain down on me tonight.
Rain down on me your hope and joy,
rain down on me your light.
I need your blessing raining down
to fill my heart and soul.
Please dear Father rain on me,
rain down and make me whole.

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Luke 6:37

It is the God who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:6

[The Lord says,] “As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.” Isaiah 66:13

[Jesus said,] “My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me.” John 10:27

[The Lord said to Joshua,] “Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Philippians 4:4

Little children, let’s not love with words or speech but with action and truth. 1 John 3:18

Lord, I Want... by Tom
Luke records the story of Jesus healing a blind man in chapter 18, 35 As Jesus approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. 36 When he heard the crowd going by, he asked what was happening. 37 They told him, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.” 38 He called out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” 39 Those who led the way rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” 40 Jesus stopped and ordered the man to be brought to him. When he came near, Jesus asked him, 41 “What do you want me to do for you?” “Lord, I want to see,” he replied. 42 Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight; your faith has healed you.” 43 Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God. (Luke 18:35-43, NIV)
If you were blind what you want God to do for you? That is what Jesus asked this blind man. “What do you want me to do for you?” Somewhere in the the depths of our soul we know how we would respond to that question. We may be reluctant to ask, we may be embarrassed to ask, or we may think God does not want us to ask, but if I am reading the story correctly, God wants us to ask.
Here are three lessons that seem to emerge from this story:
We all have that one request we want to make of the Lord.
“Lord, I want to see.”
“Lord, I want to hear.”
“Lord, I want to be healed.”
“Lord, I want to be a good parent.”
“Lord, I want to save my marriage.”
“Lord, I want to be able to help more people.”
“Lord, I want a job.”
“Lord, I want someone to love me.”
“Lord, I want to be forgiven.”
“Lord, I want peace.”
“Lord, I want to know I’m saved.”
“Lord, I want to make a difference in the world.”
“Lord, I want to really live again.”
We need to make the request.
Why not take a moment right now and present your request to the Lord. (Philippians 4:6-8) Get with a friend. Or, get alone. Get with God and lay it all out. Yes, He already knows before you ask. Ask anyway. Pour your heart out to Him. Tell Him what you want Him to do for you.
We need to praise God when our request is granted. The Blind Beggar did. The people around him did. The blind man in John 11 did. The people around him did not. When He grants you the request, thank Him, praise Him, share what He has done.
God is ready and willing to hear your request. And, He is ready and willing to grant your request in His time and His way. When He does, rejoice and praise Him.

Dear Lord, help us to follow you whenever and wherever you call us. Fill us with overflowing love for those in need. Thank you for love that holds us close to you, even when we are unaware of you. As you have held us with such strength, may we reach out to others in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
2 Kings 24
Judah Overrun by Enemies
1 In his days Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came up, and Jehoiakim became his vassal for three years. Then he turned and rebelled against him. 2 And the Lord sent against him raiding bands of Chaldeans, bands of Syrians, bands of Moabites, and bands of the people of Ammon; He sent them against Judah to destroy it, according to the word of the Lord which He had spoken by His servants the prophets. 3 Surely at the commandment of the Lord this came upon Judah, to remove them from His sight because of the sins of Manasseh, according to all that he had done, 4 and also because of the innocent blood that he had shed; for he had filled Jerusalem with innocent blood, which the Lord would not pardon. 5 Now the rest of the acts of Jehoiakim, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Judah? 6 So Jehoiakim rested with his fathers. Then Jehoiachin his son reigned in his place. 7 And the king of Egypt did not come out of his land anymore, for the king of Babylon had taken all that belonged to the king of Egypt from the Brook of Egypt to the River Euphrates.
The Reign and Captivity of Jehoiachin
8 Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. His mother’s name was Nehushta the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem. 9 And he did evil in the sight of the Lord, according to all that his father had done. 10 At that time the servants of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came up against Jerusalem, and the city was besieged. 11 And Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came against the city, as his servants were besieging it. 12 Then Jehoiachin king of Judah, his mother, his servants, his princes, and his officers went out to the king of Babylon; and the king of Babylon, in the eighth year of his reign, took him prisoner.
The Captivity of Jerusalem
13 And he carried out from there all the treasures of the house of the Lord and the treasures of the king’s house, and he cut in pieces all the articles of gold which Solomon king of Israel had made in the temple of the Lord, as the Lord had said. 14 Also he carried into captivity all Jerusalem: all the captains and all the mighty men of valor, ten thousand captives, and all the craftsmen and smiths. None remained except the poorest people of the land. 15 And he carried Jehoiachin captive to Babylon. The king’s mother, the king’s wives, his officers, and the mighty of the land he carried into captivity from Jerusalem to Babylon. 16 All the valiant men, seven thousand, and craftsmen and smiths, one thousand, all who were strong and fit for war, these the king of Babylon brought captive to Babylon.
Zedekiah Reigns in Judah
17 Then the king of Babylon made Mattaniah, Jehoiachin’s uncle, king in his place, and changed his name to Zedekiah. 18 Zedekiah was twenty-one years old when he became king, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Hamutal the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah. 19 He also did evil in the sight of the Lord, according to all that Jehoiakim had done. 20 For because of the anger of the Lord this happened in Jerusalem and Judah, that He finally cast them out from His presence. Then Zedekiah rebelled against the king of Babylon.

O God, thank you for salvation. Deliver us from spiritual hunger and thirst as we worship you in spirit and truth. Help us be so still that we can hear your voice, and give us the courage to change pace, to move where you call us. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply