Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 1/11

We can always tell God honestly, exactly, what we feel.

Our difficulty in understanding a situation often reflects the limits of our earthly perspective. We’ll never be able to fully understand, but we can place our trust in the God who does.

We see God working through Jesus, and as we put our trust in Christ, we see our own lives fitting into what God is doing. Day by day we can discover how new pieces fit into the puzzle. A picture emerges — sometimes very slowly — and we can begin to see what God is doing.

Our names are carried every day on the palms of God’s hands. God does not forget us. God never will forget us.

When God calls you to do something, just do it.

The more we serve God, the less we will serve ourselves.

In prayer, God hears more than just words, He listens to our heart.

Only A Man... by Earnest Thompson
At first glance she looked like any other old woman. Plodding along in the snow, alone, neglected, head bowed. People passing on the busy city sidewalk averted their eyes, lest she remind them that pain and suffering did not stop to celebrate Christmas.
A young couple, smiling, talking, laughing, arms loaded with Christmas presents, took no notice of the old woman.
A mother with two small children hurried by, on their way to grandmother's house. They took no notice.
A minister walked by proudly carrying his Bible in his right hand, like a well armed Christian soldier. But his mind was stayed on heavenly things, and he took no notice.
If these people had noticed, they would have seen that the old woman wore no shoes. She walked barefoot in the ice and snow.
With both hands the old woman gathered her worn button-less overcoat at the collar to keep out the wind. She stopped and stood bent and bowed at the bus stop. A red and blue scarf covering her head, she waited for the downtown bus.
A gentleman carrying an important looking briefcase waited near her, not too closely. After all, she could have something contagious.
A teen-age girl also waited for the bus. She glanced repeatedly at the old woman's feet, but said nothing.
The bus arrived and the old woman slowly, painfully boarded.
She sat on the side-ways seat just behind the driver.
The gentleman and the teen-age girl hurried to the rear.
The man sharing the seat with the old woman shuffled uneasily and twirled his thumbs. "Senile," he thought.
The bus driver saw her bare feet and thought; "This neighborhood is sinking deeper and deeper into poverty, I hate to see it, I'll be glad when they put me on the College Park route."
A little boy pointed at the old woman.
"Look, Mother, that old lady is barefoot."
The embarrassed mother slapped his hand down. "Don't point at people, Andrew. It's not polite to point." She looked out the window.
"She must have grown children," a lady in a fur coat suggested.
"Her children should be ashamed of themselves." She felt morally superior, because she took good care of her mother.
A teacher seated near the middle of the bus steadied the bag of gifts on her lap.
"Don't we pay enough taxes to handle situations like this?" she said to a friend seated beside her.
"People have to learn to save their money," a well-dressed young college man added. "If that old woman had saved when she was young, she wouldn't be suffering now. It's her own fault."
And all these people beamed with satisfaction that their acumen had delivered such trenchant analysis.
But, a kind businessman felt offended by this murmuring detachment of his fellow citizens. He reached into his wallet and took out a crisp twenty-dollar bill.
He strode proudly down the isle and pressed the bill into the old woman's unsteady, wrinkled hand.
"Here, Madam, get yourself some shoes."
The old woman nodded her head in thanks. The businessman strode back to his seat, feeling pleased with himself, that he was a man of action.
A well-dressed Christian lady had noticed all of this.
She began to pray silently.
"Lord, I don't have money. There is no way I can help.
But Lord, I can turn to you in every need. Lord, I know that you are a loving God. You make a way out of no way. Now Lord, let your blessing shine on this old woman. Let shoes fall like manna from heaven, so that this old woman can have shoes for Christmas."
And the Christian lady felt supremely spiritual.
At the next stop, a young man boarded the bus. He wore a heavy blue jacket, a maroon scarf around his neck, and a gray woolen cap pulled down over is ears. A wire running under the cap and into his ear was connected to a portable music player. The young man jiggled his body in time to music only he heard. He paid his fare and plopped down on the sideways seat directly across from the old woman.
As the young man's glance caught the old woman's bare feet, his jiggling stopped. He froze.
His eyes went from her feet to his. He wore his expensive, new, brand name sneakers. For months he had saved from his minimum wage pay to buy these sneakers. Everybody in the gang would think he was "so cool."
The young man bent down and began to untie his sneakers.
He removed his impressive new sneakers. He removed his socks.
He knelt down before the old woman.
"Mother," he said, "I see you have no shoes. Well, I have shoes."
Carefully, gently, he lifted the old woman's crusty feet in his hands. He placed his socks and his fine sneakers on the old woman's feet. The old woman nodded in thanks.
Just then the bus arrived at the nest stop.
The young man left the bus and walked away, barefoot in the snow.
The passengers crowded at the windows to watch him as he plodded barefoot through the snow.
"Who is he?" one asked.
"He must be a prophet," said another.
"He must be a saint," someone suggested.
"He must be an angel," said yet another.
"Look! There's a halo around his head," somebody shouted.
"He must be the Son of God," said the Christian lady.
But the little boy who had pointed, said, "No Mother, I saw him clearly. He was only a man."

Flirting with Doubt by Kristi Huseby
“If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he MUST believe and NOT DOUBT, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord.” (James 1.5-7, emphasis mine)
Have you ever pleaded with God over and over again to answer your prayer? Or felt such desperation in your soul, that you prayed all night long begging God to hear your prayer? Did you really expect God to answer you?
In my reading of Acts this week, Peter was captured by Herod’s henchmen and thrown in jail. James, John’s brother was killed just days before his capture. Herod, seeking affirmation and approval turned his attention towards Peter and now Peter was sitting in jail surrounded by sixteen soldiers, all appointed to guard one unarmed man. Do you remember this story?
Meanwhile, the believers all gathered at Mary’s house to pray and intercede for Peter. To say that they were concerned for Peter’s welfare would be stating it mildly. I’m sure they were terrified of what Herod was going to do to Peter, their pastor and friend. He had just executed another member of their community and they were sure he wouldn’t hesitate to do the same to Peter. They knew how heavily surrounded he was and in their heart of hearts they must have wondered if God would hear their prayers.
While they were praying earnestly for Peter, Mary’s servant girl interrupted them to tell them that Peter was at the door knocking. Look at what happens next . . . “’You’re out of your mind,’ they told her. When she kept insisting that it was so, they said, ‘It must be his angel.’ But Peter kept knocking and when they opened the door and saw him, they were astonished.” (Acts 12.15-16)
As I read this passage, I couldn’t help but cringe inside at all the times I’ve prayed and never really expected God to answer my prayer. Because, deep down in my heart of hearts maybe I thought it was an impossible prayer. Maybe I questioned whether it really was God’s will or not or maybe I just simply did not believe that my prayers would really make a difference. Whatever the reason, it all stems from DOUBT. Doubt that God is who He says He is. Doubt that God hears my prayers. Doubt that He is great enough for my problems.
Doubt, doubt, doubt.
James 1.5-7 says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.”
The more I read the words of Jesus, the more I realize that following Him is an ALL or NOTHING venture. There is no room for doubt. We can’t have one foot in the world and one foot in heaven. It just doesn’t work.
Lord, teach me to have a faith that doesn’t flirt with doubt. I want all that you have for me. Teach me what it looks like to walk the road of faith. Open my heart to see You for who You really are so that I might know You better and trust You more. Amen
Question: Why is doubt such a struggle? Why do you think it gets in the way of what God wants to do?

Undercover Boss by Alec Niemi
Galatians 2:19-20 – For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (NIV)
The clerk was miserable, snappy to the point of being rude and totally uncaring.
While in the store the other day, I needed help in finding certain items. When I asked for direction from a sales clerk, all I got was a pointing finger and a curt, "They're over there." I found one item, but not the others. I went back to the clerk to ask for further help. The first look was one of impatience, but then, after staring at me for a moment with a blank stare, the clerk's whole demeanour changed. It was just as if a switch had been thrown; a lit-up face and a big smile instructed, "Follow me." Oh, so gracious and helpful. Wow! What a change!
As I left the store, I pondered on the change. It was so dramatic. What had gone through that person's mind? It was as if the clerk had all of a sudden thought that I might be the "undercover boss" or the "mystery shopper".
How similar it is to seeing someone coming to the realization of the reality of Christ.
We are the Christ that other people see. Let's not disguise ourselves so well that others can't see Him in us.
Matthew 5:16 – Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. (NIV)
Prayer: Heavenly Father, the switch has been thrown; we see the light! You're the boss and there is no mystery. May it be true, what the apostle Paul writes, that we who have been crucified with Christ may no longer live, but Christ may live in us. May we live the life we now live in the body by faith in Your Son, who loved us and gave Himself for us. Thank You! Thank You! Thank You, Jesus! Amen.

Hot Dog by Julie Bowles
1 Peter 3:15 – But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. (NIV)
Last fall, a bike ride ended in a visit to a coffee establishment that is close to my home. I left my bike unlocked as I sat enjoying my coffee at a table near a window. Usually, I take my helmet in with me, but for some reason, I hung it on the handle bars of the bike with my biking gloves. This, I believe, was a divine intervention by God, for if I had taken my helmet in and placed it on the table as I usually do, I believe that the following incident would not have taken place.
A couple came in, got their coffee, and sat at a table nearby, as they sipped their coffee and chatted. Then, I saw the man turn towards the window and look at my bike. He then turned to his wife and said, "I wonder which hot dog owns that bike," to which I quickly replied that I would be that person. A few moments of uncomfortable air hung between us, and then, God stepped in. I began to share all that Jesus had done for me in the previous sixteen months. I told them how I began taking care of myself better by going to aqua fitness, then added walking, and finally, as my health improved, I was able to bike. I found myself able to witness with confidence and boldness in a very uncomfortable situation. To be honest, it would normally have been much easier for me not to have stepped into their conversation and for me to have kept quiet. Stepping out of our comfort zone and into the will of Jesus, though, brings rewards much greater than my flesh wants for me.
Hebrews 13:20-21 – May the God of peace … equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. (NIV)
Prayer: Dear Lord, thank You for providing opportunities to share with others whom You place in our life. It is our desire to be servants and vessels of Yours to a world which does not yet know You. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

A Sure Thing by Gail Rodgers
“But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.” (Jeremiah 17:7-8)
The incredible promise of this verse is a treasure chest of peace as we enter a new year. Whatever the months ahead hold for us as individuals, as a nation, or even on the world stage of events, this promise is a sure place to set your heart.
Soaking up the peace and confidence of full trust in our Lord keeps us in a place of productivity, fruitfulness and hope no matter what goes on around us.
As you walk through this January make this promise your own. Determine to put your roots down deep into the fresh supply of His living water every day. Be intentional about time in God’s presence listening to worship music, reading His word and bringing your thanksgiving into His throne room as you bring your requests to Him.
Enjoy the Lord this year as you never have before and experience the lush green of walking together with Him.
Lord God, Thank you for Your incredible promise. Help me to keep it in full focus as I walk through this whole year. Whether things around me blossom or shrivel I am determined to stay green and fruitful as I intentionally and fully trust You every single step of the way. I pray this with thanksgiving in the strong name of Jesus, Amen.
Question: What does having confidence in God look like? How will this year be different as you rest in this promise?

Trash Collectors by Becky Toews
“Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?” (John 1:46)
One of my students was in a dilemma as to what to do for her Narrative Speech. Her part-time job at college involved helping in the maintenance department. It was while she was working, emptying trashcans, that she remembered the rebuke of a former high school teacher, “If you don’t straighten up your life, you’re going to end up being a trash collector!” The irony of her situation gave her the impetus for her speech.
An art major, she recalled her senior high school project. She had constructed a mural consisting of literal pieces of “trash,” discarded items that no one had further need of. In the middle of her display, she fashioned a cross. The message was subtle, yet powerful: Jesus stands in the middle of the broken, cast away pieces of our lives to create something beautiful.
She told the story—her story—of how God had used her to reach out to the “discarded people” in her school. She befriended those whom others avoided. She embraced the lonely, the unpopular, and the rejected. Like the cross on her mural, she offered hope in the midst of turmoil, directing lives littered with the debris of pain to the love of God.
I think most of us have encountered the blight of unwantedness. We’ve seen it in the eyes of a teenage girl begging for her father’s affection, in the confused look of the elderly, when no longer deemed useful in our youth-driven culture. It’s there in the daze of people who have been “thrown under the bus” by one-time confidants seeking their own advancement. Trails of heartbreak disfigure and stain our landscape.
But we, as Christians, carry good news. The Holy Spirit living in us can mend broken lives, heal devastating wounds and bring light to dark corners. We have been commissioned by our Redeemer to be his “trash collectors” on the earth. To let people know how he has transformed our rubbish to make us his masterpiece (Ephesians 2:10). To reveal how he will do the same for them.
Can anything good come out of your home, city, or country? My student’s artwork reminds me that God says yes!
God, Thank you for redeeming me and making me beautiful in Your eyes. Help me to see the people around me who need to know You. Give me the courage to make the introduction. Amen
Question: How can you help the outsiders in your community find Jesus?

The Promise of Guidance by Gail Rodgers
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)
January is a time when we look ahead and plan into a new year. Sometimes the way is exciting and clear. Other times it may be foggy and uncertain.
God’s word gives us sure footing as we stand on the threshold of a new day. Every single morning His call to us is to trust Him with our day. He will direct our paths one step at a time.
Today’s verses go on to encourage us not to be wise in our own eyes and to walk in ways pleasing to God. The promise of this kind of trust even aids our health as confidence in God will even reduce our stress.
Acknowledging Him in every step and every decision is a wise way to live.
Heavenly Father, Today I want to declare my trust in You and in Your divine ability to guide my pathway. When I don’t know which way to turn I know You can direct me. Forgive me when I do my own best thinking about solutions and directions without acknowledging Your love for me and Your desire to direct me. Right now I do acknowledge that You alone know what is best. You alone can see around each blind corner and You alone can show me just what steps to take. Thank you for Your steadfast love and Your sure direction in my life. I love You, Lord and I pray this in Jesus’ name, Amen.
Question: What will you do this year to ensure that you bring every decision to God?

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
Look for consistent breakthroughs that will begin with small and less significant things. It will be like the breaking of a dam that begins with a trickle and ends with a constant flow. I would have you to move freely in an unrestricted spiritual flow and unhindered by ungodly intrusion. Come into that place by faith where you know that you are walking in liberty, says the Lord. 1 Chronicles 14:11 So they went up to Baal Perazim, and David defeated them there. Then David said, "God has broken through my enemies by my hand like a breakthrough of water." Therefore they called the name of that place Baal Perazim.

The way is open for you to come boldly before My throne of grace, says the Lord. Do not be afraid or hesitate. Come and let Me speak to your heart, for you need wisdom and direction for the days ahead. Listen for My still small voice, and you will hear. I will guide your steps, and lead you to victory. Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Let Me deal with those places where you have something to prove. This stems from pride as a way of dealing with insecurity and rejection. But, you are neither insecure nor rejected in My kingdom. Let your trust in Me become as solid as the cornerstone of your foundation. I am your strength in weakness; your help in times of trouble, says the Lord. Proverbs 18:12 Before destruction the heart of a man is haughty, And before honor is humility.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
The foundation of My government has been established in the hearts of My people. Now, My house will be built, and My kingdom will be established. Divine order will become the present work of My Spirit in this year. Order must be established in the lives of My people because disorder will govern the world and its systems. Make every effort to establish yourselves in My order. You can do this by staying in touch with Me, and by allowing My Spirit to guide you from day to day. Stay connected!

AFTER THE RAIN Author Unknown
Whatever your cross,
whatever your pain,
there will always be sunshine,
after the rain.
Perhaps you may stumble,
perhaps even fall,
But God’s always ready,
To answer your call.
He knows every heartache,
sees every tear,
A word from His lips,
can calm every fear.
Your sorrows may linger,
throughout the night,
But suddenly vanish,
in dawn’s early light.
The Savior is waiting,
somewhere above,
To give you His grace,
and send you His love
Whatever your cross,
whatever your pain,
God always sends rainbows,
after the rain.

Highway To Heaven by Nancy Burr
In this world problems face us each day,
We hope and we pray that they just fade away.
But the highway we're on never seems to go straight,
And when things go wrong our hearts fill with hate.
It's easy to gripe and complain about life,
It's easy to dwell on the pain and the strife,
But when things are hard we need to be strong,
We need to trust God for His path's never wrong.
We need to remember that life can be hard,
Even Jesus suffered as His hands were scarred.
He gave up His life for you and for me,
He suffered and died so that we could be free.
So when we are feeling like we can't cope,
We should think of our Savior and be filled with hope.
He gives us His strength when things go wrong,
He's right here beside us making us strong.
There will be times when our faith gets weak,
It's on those times that His face we should seek.
We should turn to our Father and thank Him again,
For saving our souls and for easing our pain.
Life can be hard, many trials we face,
But someday I know I'll feel Jesus' embrace.
The highway I'm on is where I want to be,
It's the highway to heaven, the right way for me.

6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. 10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. 11 To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 5:6-11

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life -- in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. Philippians 2:14-16

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. 29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. 30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: 31 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:28-31

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:7-9

When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me? Psalm 56:3-4

Nail Polish by Karen Knuff
Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. (MSG)
I'm trying to grow my fingernails. I've been trying all of my life to do this. But when there is the least little bit of stress, I fiddle with my nails and pick at edges that stick out, and before I know it, I've ripped off the end of a previously successful attempt. Along this journey, I have discovered that if I put nail polish on, then I'm really not inclined to fiddle with my nails because I don't want to ruin the nail polish. The nail polish keeps me from losing nails. This week, I did not have time to put the nail polish on, although I could have made time to do so. I erroneously thought that I could go this week without the nail polish. I'm doing really well; I can do it this time! What a mistake! Life happened, and now, I have ruined three nails! Well, so much for thinking that I could do it all on my own!
Can we go through life without God? Can we just "do it on our own"? Does this work? Or maybe we'll just have a little bit of God in our life. Does that work? Do our fingernails look great with only some nail polish on, and not all painted? If we do have God in our lives, do we make time for Him? Is not doing so going to get us through the tough times? We need to have God, all of Him, all the time, every moment, every day, and we need to talk to Him all through those times. In return, we will have a wonderful relationship with our Father in heaven. Clearly, we don't do a good job all on our own. We think that we do know what we need, but in reality we have no idea, and we make poor choices.
I always picture myself and God riding a tandem (two-person) bicycle together — only I'm not sitting in the front seat steering the bicycle — God is. He is steering my life. When we become Christians, we are giving up control of our lives in every possible way. We need God. And what a relief to know that we don't have to be in control of our lives and that we can leave our decisions up to Him! We can't go through life successfully or happily without Him and we need to make time so that we can listen to the direction that He wants us to go in our lives. I'm going to do that. Are you?
Prayer: Our dear heavenly Father, thank You for loving us no matter what place we are at with You. We pray that You would enable us to let You take full control of our lives and steer us where You want us to go, so that we would be obedient to what You want us to do. Help us to take time for You, so that we can learn about Your ways and be open to what You want to tell us. But, Lord, take away anything that would hinder us in this process. Open our hearts, Lord, because we really do want to see You. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

Dear Lord Jesus, thank you for your life-changing love for us. Help us always to seek deeper relationship with you. In times of trouble, God, help us to cast our cares on you and find peace. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
2 Kings 6
The Floating Ax Head
1 And the sons of the prophets said to Elisha, “See now, the place where we dwell with you is too small for us. 2 Please, let us go to the Jordan, and let every man take a beam from there, and let us make there a place where we may dwell.” So he answered, “Go.” 3 Then one said, “Please consent to go with your servants.” And he answered, “I will go.” 4 So he went with them. And when they came to the Jordan, they cut down trees. 5 But as one was cutting down a tree, the iron ax head fell into the water; and he cried out and said, “Alas, master! For it was borrowed.” 6 So the man of God said, “Where did it fall?” And he showed him the place. So he cut off a stick, and threw it in there; and he made the iron float. 7 Therefore he said, “Pick it up for yourself.” So he reached out his hand and took it.
The Blinded Syrians Captured
8 Now the king of Syria was making war against Israel; and he consulted with his servants, saying, “My camp will be in such and such a place.” 9 And the man of God sent to the king of Israel, saying, “Beware that you do not pass this place, for the Syrians are coming down there.” 10 Then the king of Israel sent someone to the place of which the man of God had told him. Thus he warned him, and he was watchful there, not just once or twice. 11 Therefore the heart of the king of Syria was greatly troubled by this thing; and he called his servants and said to them, “Will you not show me which of us is for the king of Israel?” 12 And one of his servants said, “None, my lord, O king; but Elisha, the prophet who is in Israel, tells the king of Israel the words that you speak in your bedroom.” 13 So he said, “Go and see where he is, that I may send and get him.” And it was told him, saying, “Surely he is in Dothan.” 14 Therefore he sent horses and chariots and a great army there, and they came by night and surrounded the city. 15 And when the servant of the man of God arose early and went out, there was an army, surrounding the city with horses and chariots. And his servant said to him, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?” 16 So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” 17 And Elisha prayed, and said, “Lord, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. 18 So when the Syrians came down to him, Elisha prayed to the Lord, and said, “Strike this people, I pray, with blindness.” And He struck them with blindness according to the word of Elisha. 19 Now Elisha said to them, “This is not the way, nor is this the city. Follow me, and I will bring you to the man whom you seek.” But he led them to Samaria. 20 So it was, when they had come to Samaria, that Elisha said, “Lord, open the eyes of these men, that they may see.” And the Lord opened their eyes, and they saw; and there they were, inside Samaria! 21 Now when the king of Israel saw them, he said to Elisha, “My father, shall I kill them? Shall I kill them?” 22 But he answered, “You shall not kill them. Would you kill those whom you have taken captive with your sword and your bow? Set food and water before them, that they may eat and drink and go to their master.” 23 Then he prepared a great feast for them; and after they ate and drank, he sent them away and they went to their master. So the bands of Syrian raiders came no more into the land of Israel.
Syria Besieges Samaria in Famine
24 And it happened after this that Ben-Hadad king of Syria gathered all his army, and went up and besieged Samaria. 25 And there was a great famine in Samaria; and indeed they besieged it until a donkey’s head was sold for eighty shekels of silver, and one-fourth of a kab of dove droppings for five shekels of silver. 26 Then, as the king of Israel was passing by on the wall, a woman cried out to him, saying, “Help, my lord, O king!” 27 And he said, “If the Lord does not help you, where can I find help for you? From the threshing floor or from the winepress?” 28 Then the king said to her, “What is troubling you?” And she answered, “This woman said to me, ‘Give your son, that we may eat him today, and we will eat my son tomorrow.’ 29 So we boiled my son, and ate him. And I said to her on the next day, ‘Give your son, that we may eat him’; but she has hidden her son.” 30 Now it happened, when the king heard the words of the woman, that he tore his clothes; and as he passed by on the wall, the people looked, and there underneath he had sackcloth on his body. 31 Then he said, “God do so to me and more also, if the head of Elisha the son of Shaphat remains on him today!” 32 But Elisha was sitting in his house, and the elders were sitting with him. And the king sent a man ahead of him, but before the messenger came to him, he said to the elders, “Do you see how this son of a murderer has sent someone to take away my head? Look, when the messenger comes, shut the door, and hold him fast at the door. Is not the sound of his master’s feet behind him?” 33 And while he was still talking with them, there was the messenger, coming down to him; and then the king said, “Surely this calamity is from the Lord; why should I wait for the Lord any longer?”

Good and gracious God, bless us with faith to trust you day by day with each piece of our lives. Open our eyes to see your works, even in situations that seem impossible to us. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply