Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 5/3

Praise God in everything you do.

The quality of our vocal efforts is not important to God. God doesn’t care if we sing like angels or bleat like goats. God, who created us, knows our abilities. The act of praise from those who love God pleases God. When we sing in worship, we aren’t performing for the approval of the people around us. We’re lifting our voices to please God, who loves us, cares for us, and died for us.

When we are facing trials, don’t turn away from God, turn to Him.

When we become one with God, the power of our past is broken.

When we look, we will find God in the past, the future, and the present.

When we meet situations that seem insurmountable, remember that God is there even though we can’t see Him.

When we put our cares in God’s hands, He puts His peace in our hearts.

Love Each Other by Suzanne Benner
Because God lavishes His great love on us, He calls us to also love each other. The Apostle John continues the theme of love.
See how often he repeats this message:
* “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” (John 13:34)
* “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.” (John 15:12)
* “This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one anther.” (1 John 3:11)
* “And this is His command: to believe in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as He commanded us.” (1 John 3:23)
* “Dear friends, let us love one anther, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.” (1 John 4:7)
* “Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.” (1 John 4:11)
* “And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another.” (2 John 1:5)
God calls us to love others in the same way that He loves us. Indeed, love comes from God. Therefore He is the One who enables us to love.
Through these verses John shows us that loving others is to be the natural outpouring of a life which has received love. Because God loved us, we have the power to love others.
Father, help me to practice Your command to love others. Thank you that You loved me first – “We love because He first loved us.” (1 John 4:19) – and that Your love gives me the ability to love those around me. Amen
Questions: Is loving one another a difficult command for you to follow? What does it mean to love in the way that God loved us?

Love Holds the Key by Suzanne Benner
“Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble.” (1 John 2:10)
God loves us. He calls us to love one another. Real love requires sacrifice and obedience to God’s commands. And finally, the Apostle John teaches that love holds the key to a life full of purpose and joy and contentment. Love really is the answer.
John tells us, “Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble.” (1 John 2:10)
Doesn’t that sound attractive? We all stumble in many ways, but John shows us that love overcomes the things that make us stumble – things like selfishness and pride, bitterness and envy, insecurity and anger. We cannot be impatient and love our brother. We cannot be resentful and love our sister. Loving others lifts us above the things that trap us in sin.
And that’s not all. John continues:
* “God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.” (1 John 4:16)
* “No one has ever seen God; but if we love each other, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us.” (1 John 4:12)
Through love, God makes His dwelling place in us. Love provides the way to true fellowship with God. Love completes us.
It begins with God loving us. Through His power we can love those around us with a sacrificial and unconditional love. Then, when we love in this manner, God’s love is perfected in us. We have fellowship with Him and nothing can make us stumble.
Holy God, thank you for loving me. Thank you for showing me that You live within me. You give me the power to love others. I want to live in love so that nothing can make me stumble. Amen
Questions: How have you found love to be the key to life on earth? How have you experienced benefits when loving others?

Little and Big Follow Him by Julie Cosgrove
“Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.” (John 12:26)
As I waited for the traffic light to change, I saw a woman walk across the street with a huge Great Dane and a miniature Yorkie on leashes. She walked ahead and they padded along behind her. I had to smile. The dichotomy of size in her choice of pets made me chuckle.
That’s when the God-tap on my brain occurred. When I have walked my friend’s dog, it usually wants to lead me as I scramble along with arms stretched to keep the pace. It pulls me along, seeking out that perfect blade of grass to sniff or bush to explore. I tug back, showing it the safest place to go, or where people in the apartment complex won’t mind it doing, well, you know!
Not so with these two dogs in front of me now. I sat behind the wheel of my car at the stoplight and watched in awe as both animals obediently trekked behind their master. Wow, had they been well trained! The big one didn’t stomp on the little one; nor did the little one run in and out of the big one’s legs, causing it to stutter-step. They trotted along like soldiers in perfect formation: master, little, big. It was so different than my friend’s young puppy. It made me wonder: how often have I tried to pull God in the direction I wanted to go, much like my friend’s dog wanted to tug me? No wonder I felt tension!
A second thought came to mind: How many times have I let the big things overshadow the little things, or allowed little things to trip me up? If I would be more obedient and let God lead, then all my concerns would line up to His will and plan. It made me realize that, if I get my big concerns and little issues in order and follow God’s pace, then all will fall into place.
The big and tiny dogs were trained to follow their master, who obviously cared deeply for them and took care of them. Should I not be even more so for the One who created me and then died for me?
In the Gospel of John, Jesus says, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.” (10:27) Two chapters later, He states, “Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.” (12:26).
Two dogs reminded me that I must follow where my Master leads and not try to venture out on my own, while asking the Lord to follow me. I must, like the sheep in the Gospels, hear His voice and trail contentedly behind.
Dearest Lord, as a child I played follow-the-leader. Please, in Your loving mercy, teach me to play that each and every day with You. Tug on me until I line up all of my thoughts, desires and concerns with Your will. Show me how to obediently follow your lead and to totally trust the pace You set in my life. Forgive me for the times I want to tug You in another direction. You died to show me the way. Let me remember that always. Amen.
Question: Who has been doing the tugging in your life lately? What steps can you take to surrender self-will into the hands of your merciful Shepherd and Lord?

Detours, Billboards and a Man Named Paul by Kristi Huseby
“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11, NLT)
In Michigan we jokingly say that there are two seasons – winter and road construction! With road construction come detours and lots of them. Can I just say . . . I hate detours! They’re inconvenient, unplanned and usually make me late! (Mainly, that’s because of poor planning on my part but it’s great to have something else to blame.)
I don’t like detours in my life anymore than I like them on the roadways. Detours have a way of making me feel like my life is spinning out of control. I often find myself holding my breath when this happens, hoping the damage will be minimal and everything will stop spinning soon.
Detours have a way of reminding me that I’m not in control. In my reading of the book of Acts, I was struck by Paul’s reactions to detours in his life (and he had a lot of them). Paul was on the road to Damascus to persecute Christians when he faced his first detour and met Jesus. Paul had his plans but God had other plans. Paul readily accepted the journey change and his life was never the same again. He wholeheartedly embraced the path that God had for him.
>From then on we see a Paul that holds his own agenda lightly and willingly accepts each detour that is sent his way. He was thrown in jail and forgotten for two years but that didn’t hinder him from preaching the gospel. He was shipwrecked and instead of twiddling his thumbs and waiting around for God to get him off the Island, he shared the Good News with those who lived there. It’s as if, each detour in Paul’s life was a “billboard” from God clearly showing him where he should go and what he should do.
I’ve often wished that God would be so clear and direct with me. There have been many times where I’ve exclaimed, “God would you just make it clear what you want me to do and I’ll do it! Could you send me a postcard or write on a billboard so that I’ll know?” But taking a fresh look at Paul’s life I’ve realized something. Just as detours were God’s “billboard” in Paul’s life, so they are in mine.
Instead of wishing my detours away, I should embrace them!
Let me ask you, what if your detours are God’s way of telling you that you’ve controlled things long enough and now it’s time to pry your hands off the wheel? What if they are His “billboard” to you? Are you resisting His direction in your life and wasting precious time wanting things done your way or are you accepting His plan and following wherever that might take you?
“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11, NLT)
Let go, jump in, embrace the detours and hold on tight – you’re in for a spectacular ride!
God, It’s so easy for me to slip back into the driver’s seat of my life. Help me to remember that Your ways are so much higher than mine. Remind me that when I try to take control what I’m really doing it telling You that I don’t trust You. I do trust You and I know that You are trustworthy. Help me to live like I believe that. Amen
Question: Can you think of a time when God gave you a detour? How did you respond? How would you respond to a detour in the future?

Are You Drifting Off Course? Author Unknown
The story's told about a guy called Bill who telephoned his boss and said, "I believe you're looking for an experienced, talented, hard-working manager for your front office. I'd like to apply for the job." The boss replied, "We already have someone in that slot and he's doing an excellent job. By the way, your voice sounds familiar. What's your name?" The guy replied, "It's me, Bill; I was just checking up on myself!"
You need to check up on yourself regularly. The Bible says, "We must listen very carefully to the truths we have heard, or we may drift away from them." (Hebrews 2:1 ) That word "drift" should set off alarm bells. It doesn't happen overnight, but slowly and imperceptibly you drift off course and end up in places you never thought you would be - places you may not be able to get back from.
A plane flying just one degree off its assigned flight plan can end up hundreds of miles from its destination. And if it's out of fuel, it's only going one place – down!
Knowing his propensity to drift and to turn a blind eye to his defects of character, the Psalmist prayed, "I have tried to keep Your laws and have trusted You without wavering. Cross-examine me, O Lord... test my motives and affections too. For I have taken Your loving-kindness and Your truth as my ideals." (Psalm 26:1-3)
Notice the words "cross-examine." Cross-examine what? Your motives, or your reasons for doing things, and your affections, or the things toward which you are being drawn.
Are you drifting off course?

God Is With You by Heather Eads
“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” (James 1:2-4)
Sometimes we think that when we become Christians, we are automatically guaranteed that our lives will go smoothly and that we won’t have any problems. But sadly, that is not reality. Even though it may seem unfair, God puts us through trials to make us better and to grow our faith.
God wants us to depend on Him and not on things of the world. In order for that to happen, for some of us, God has to do something a bit drastic to get our attention. He wants our attention so He can teach us to rely on Him for our needs, and so we can grow in our relationship with Him.
How do you learn to rely on God for your needs?
It is possible if you focus on the fact that no matter what you are going through, God is not a God that is just “out there somewhere”. He is right there where you are, walking with you through your circumstances. God is with you and for you. He wants you to be your best and to have His best.
God did not just create the world and then sit back uninvolved, watching what happens. He is intimately concerned with His creations, and actively involved in providing for all of our needs. He considers you and me to be the most valuable things He has created.
We are told that God values us even more than the rest of his creation. Birds, who don’t labor at all to provide for themselves, have adequate food to eat. Even flowers, which only live for a short time, have beautiful “clothing”. If God provides for them, doesn’t it stand to reason that He will care for us, since we are much more valuable?
When we are going through trials and when things are not going well for us, we need to be more aware of that which is offered to us by God. We were made to be conquerors through Jesus Christ, and He loves us more than any earthly parent loves their child. We need to remember that we can stand on God’s truth and we need to keep that truth close to our hearts, just as we are always close to God’s heart. We need to stay strong through our troubles and trials, and we need to persevere.
If God has allowed a trial to enter our lives, we can rest assured that He will equip us with what we need to get to the other side of our problem. What a burden that will take off our shoulders, knowing how much God loves us and cares forus, and giving all our worries up to His will for our lives. We can’t help but find peace in that.
Father, I know that You are here with me today in the things that I am facing. Help me to be quick to run to You. When I see others who are suffering may my first thought always be to bring them to You. In Your name I pray, Amen
Question: How has God used suffering in your own life to increase your faith?

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
These are pivotal times when there will be a decided break from the past as I open the way to a new phase of existence, says the Lord. You will be able to move forward more freely as old restrictions are removed. I will give you the wisdom necessary to restructure portions of your life so that you can operate more completely in the realm of divine order. You are My beloved, and I am with you. Isaiah 42:16 I will bring the blind by a way they did not know; I will lead them in paths they have not known. I will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight. These things I will do for them, and not forsake them.

Submit to My process, for indeed I am bringing you forth in strength and power. You are chosen and precious in My sight. There is nothing hidden from Me, and I see your heart and your desire to walk in perfection in My kingdom. I tell you truly that I am with you to bring you into a more perfect union with Myself, says the Lord. Be strong and courageous, and let faith and trust be your shield and staff. 1 Peter 5:6-7 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

Look up and out from where you now stand spiritually, for there is an expansion of insight and understanding underway. Look beyond where you are and rise above those things that have been dark and gloomy. There is no cause for discouragement or depression. Rise up now to seek and to know My will and purposes. What's done is done, and now you must change your mindset and position, says the Lord. I am with you to guide you through the maze of emotions that have kept you in darkness. Colossians 3:2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

Look alive! Be alert! I am opening the eyes of your understanding to see and comprehend that which I am now doing. I am releasing new hope for the hopeless and light where darkness has prevailed. Position yourself to receive this blessing. Now is the time for your spiritual vision to become clear and unclouded. Let freedom reign, says the Lord. Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
I am calling on you to come away with Me. I’m calling you to come out of that which bothers you, hinders you and troubles you. Yes, indeed, I am calling you into the secret place of My habitation. And, from this place the wells of living water flow. In that flow comes My presence. And, with My presence comes healing, help, deliverance and all that you require. Come dwell in My presence; come and abide; come be renewed. Allow My peace to invade your spirit. Allow Me to encourage you. Allow Me to strengthen you. Allow Me to heal you. Allow Me to be your help in this time of trouble. Come for I am calling you to come apart and to walk with Me this day in the presence of My glory, says the Most High.

Inside Your Love by Nancy Burr
Broken, lost and full of shame
I lift my eyes to the sky.
Tears streaming down my face
please help me Lord I cry.
This pain is too much for me,
I don’t know how to go on.
I’ve strayed so far from your Lord
and it feels like You have gone.
“I never left you my precious child
I’ve cried and hurt with you.
Come back just as you are my child
and I’ll help you get through.
I know that life can be so hard,
but I will never leave.
Just trust in me and look to me
and my blessings you’ll receive.”
I don’t know why You take me Lord
so full of guilt and shame.
But You take me as I am
and Your love stays the same.
No other in this whole wide world
forgives and loves like You.
Yet the King of Kings and Lord of Lords
loves me and wants me too.
Oh thank You for Your kindness Lord
for taking me as I am.
I’ll tell the world how good You are.
I'll shout, “Worthy is the Lamb!”
No matter how far I have strayed
Your love stays so strong.
And now I’ll hide inside Your love
for I found where I belong.

Love Comes From God Author Unknown
Love is so amazing and it comes from God above;
And each day He showers us with His awesome love.
It’s an everlasting love, a love that knows no end,
A love that’s so amazing that it’s hard to comprehend.
There will be days you’ll stumble and you’ll feel so alone.
But just remember always that you’re never on your own.
God is by your side and He’ll help you through the pain,
He’s with you everywhere you go, in sunshine or in rain.
He’s faithful and He’s true; He’s honest and so pure.
There’s nothing He wants more than to make you feel secure.
His love is all you need to help you through each day.
Just don’t give up and you will see that Love will find a way.
He’ll never let you down, for no one loves you more;
And He longs for you to know that you He does adore.
We are His precious children and I sure hope you can see;
That love comes from God and it’s meant for you and me.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven. Matthew 6:19-20

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Romans 5:1-2

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock." Matthew 7:24-25

Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18

Assurance of the Resurrection
1 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as a guarantee. 6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. 2 Corinthians 5:1-8

2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. 3 For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth. 4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. 3 John 1:2-4

Resurrection Life by Emmie Stanley
“But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.” (John 20:31, NKJV)
Life! Jesus Resurrection means LIFE for us! It is restoration of everything that Adam gave away to the enemy in the garden. It is our gift to have direct access to a relationship with the Father, and authority over the enemy in Jesus name. The resurrection means that the very power that raised Christ from the dead is made available to us. We are seated with Him in heavenly places, and we have the mind of Christ. Selah!
When we die to ourselves, we are resurrected with Christ and we allow Him to live His life through us, as we live our lives in Him. (Gal.2:20) In surrender to Him we have the power, the position, and the authority to impact change wherever He sends us. We become bearers and bringers of life and hope. Walking in unity with Him, nothing will be impossible for us. That is the power of the resurrection in our lives. Christ is manifested through us for the hope of nations.
Let us “put on” Christ, and walk in the fullness of everything the resurrection means for us!
“Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection.” (Romans 6:4-5)
Father, Thank you that Jesus’ resurrection means life for me! There are no words to adequately express all that You have done for me. May my life, my choices and my attitude speak of Your goodness always. Amen
Question: Where have you seen God’s restoration at work in your own life? Where do you need to see it?

Loving God, draw our attention every day to your marvelous works, and keep us mindful of our role as caretakers of all that you have created. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
2 Kings 22
1 Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned thirty-one years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Jedidah the daughter of Adaiah of Bozkath. 2 And he did what was right in the sight of the Lord, and walked in all the ways of his father David; he did not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.
Hilkiah Finds the Book of the Law
3 Now it came to pass, in the eighteenth year of King Josiah, that the king sent Shaphan the scribe, the son of Azaliah, the son of Meshullam, to the house of the Lord, saying: 4 “Go up to Hilkiah the high priest, that he may count the money which has been brought into the house of the Lord, which the doorkeepers have gathered from the people. 5 And let them deliver it into the hand of those doing the work, who are the overseers in the house of the Lord; let them give it to those who are in the house of the Lord doing the work, to repair the damages of the house— 6 to carpenters and builders and masons—and to buy timber and hewn stone to repair the house. 7 However there need be no accounting made with them of the money delivered into their hand, because they deal faithfully.” 8 Then Hilkiah the high priest said to Shaphan the scribe, “I have found the Book of the Law in the house of the Lord.” And Hilkiah gave the book to Shaphan, and he read it. 9 So Shaphan the scribe went to the king, bringing the king word, saying, “Your servants have gathered the money that was found in the house, and have delivered it into the hand of those who do the work, who oversee the house of the Lord.” 10 Then Shaphan the scribe showed the king, saying, “Hilkiah the priest has given me a book.” And Shaphan read it before the king. 11 Now it happened, when the king heard the words of the Book of the Law, that he tore his clothes. 12 Then the king commanded Hilkiah the priest, Ahikam the son of Shaphan, Achbor the son of Michaiah, Shaphan the scribe, and Asaiah a servant of the king, saying, 13 “Go, inquire of the Lord for me, for the people and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that has been found; for great is the wrath of the Lord that is aroused against us, because our fathers have not obeyed the words of this book, to do according to all that is written concerning us.” 14 So Hilkiah the priest, Ahikam, Achbor, Shaphan, and Asaiah went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe. (She dwelt in Jerusalem in the Second Quarter.) And they spoke with her. 15 Then she said to them, “Thus says the Lord God of Israel, ‘Tell the man who sent you to Me, 16 “Thus says the Lord: ‘Behold, I will bring calamity on this place and on its inhabitants—all the words of the book which the king of Judah has read— 17 because they have forsaken Me and burned incense to other gods, that they might provoke Me to anger with all the works of their hands. Therefore My wrath shall be aroused against this place and shall not be quenched.’”’ 18 But as for the king of Judah, who sent you to inquire of the Lord, in this manner you shall speak to him, ‘Thus says the Lord God of Israel: “Concerning the words which you have heard— 19 because your heart was tender, and you humbled yourself before the Lord when you heard what I spoke against this place and against its inhabitants, that they would become a desolation and a curse, and you tore your clothes and wept before Me, I also have heard you,” says the Lord. 20 “Surely, therefore, I will gather you to your fathers, and you shall be gathered to your grave in peace; and your eyes shall not see all the calamity which I will bring on this place.”’” So they brought back word to the king.

Faithful God, give us strength to place you first in our lives, above all that we own. In the name of Jesus Christ we pray. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply