Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - 3/15

When trials and problems knock, send Jesus to the door. Malene Mendoza

"Circumstances may appear to wreck our lives and God's plans, but God is not helpless among the ruins. Our broken lives are not lost or useless. God comes in and takes the calamity and uses it victoriously, working out his wonderful plan of love." - Eric Liddell

When we live in an environment shaped by God’s word and surrounded by God’s people, we can focus on the fruit of the Spirit.

Amid life’s storms we can rest assured that God does not forsake those in need.

Even though we may feel abandoned, God is near us in our pain.

When you feel like panicking, confess your need for God and then trust Him to care for you.

In God’s will is our peace.

When we stop making choices in God’s direction, all that is left is to make choices in the wrong direction.

Earthly Joys by The Vine
Jesus answered her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again, - John 4:13
That is just as true of all earth's springs of joy as it was of Jacob's well. Men and women drink of them today and find a measure of satisfaction for a little time, but soon they are thirsty as ever again. The human soul cannot be satisfied with any of earth's good things. This is not the fault of the things of earth; they are good and beautiful in their way and in their place. But the soul is spiritual and immortal, and cannot be filled with any good that is not also spiritual and immortal.
Money and fame and power can never be food for a soul made in the divine image; nothing less than God Himself can answer its cravings. We could not make the angels happy by giving them gold and diamonds, and building them fine marble palaces to live in, and putting crowns and fine clothes on them. No more can we satisfy our own souls with such things. Men try to do so, but their thirst is only momentarily quenched, and soon they must drink again. Gratification only intensifies desire.
There is said to be a strange plant in South America which finds a moist place and sends its roots down. It then becomes green for a little while until the place becomes dry, when it draws itself out and rolls itself up and is blown along by the wind until it comes to another moist place, where it repeats the same process. On and on the plant goes, stopping wherever it finds a little water until the spot is dry. Then, in the end , after all its wanderings, it is nothing but a bundle of dry roots and leaves. It is the same with those who drink only of this world's springs. They drink and thirst again, and go on from spring to spring, blown by the winds of passion and desire, and at last their souls are nothing but bundles of unsatisfied desires and burning thirsts. We must find something better than this, or perish forever. God Himself is the answer.

Goodness and Mercy Author Unknown
I love the 23rd Psalms where it says "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me, all the days of my life." I imagine two angels, one named "Goodness" and one named "Mercy", and everywhere I go they follow me, and protect me.
I had the chance to experience this first hand. I was travelling to Chicago and saw an elderly man and his wife pulled over to the side of the road in their truck waving for help. So, of course, I stopped and asked what was wrong.
The elderly man told me he was a pastor, and he and his wife were on their way to a town up the road, and were about to run out of gas, and was wondering could I give him a ride to the nearest gas station. I said "Sure, but since you're not out of gas yet, why don't you get back in your truck, and drive towards the next gas station. I will follow behind you, and if you do run out of gas, I will take you to get gas from there - but at least you will be closer."
He agreed and thanked me. We drove over 20 miles, and I watched him as he would look in his rear view mirror and wave to me as I followed him. The truck never did run out of gas. We made it all the way to the gas station. At the station, he thanked me again, and said "Just knowing you were behind us, just in case we did run out of gas, allowed my wife and I to drive without worry because we knew you were behind us."
We can have that same confidence and assurance as we live our lives each day. Just knowing God is always there, just knowing His "goodness" and "mercy" are following us and watching over us, we can do anything without any worry or fear.
"Surely Goodness and Mercy shall follow me all the days of my life." (Psalm 23:6)
"He will never leave you nor forsake you" (Hebrews 13:5).

New Every Morning by Gail Rodgers
“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:22-23)
If you find your heart is longing for a fresh basket of God’s mercies to be delivered to you this morning, there is one place to go: back to His word!
I know it sounds trite to say, “read the Bible.” However, God’s word is life to your soul. Ask Jesus to speak to you through His word. Let His Holy Spirit fill your heart with what the Father knows you need to hear. Today, why not soak in this wonderful treasure from the word of God?
“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:22-23)
A Prayer for You Today: Dear Father in Heaven, thank you that Your word gives the comfort, guidance and instruction that I need. Bless me today as I seek Your refreshing. Thank you for the timeless truths of this scripture verse. Some days it feels like life would consume me if I did not look for Your daily mercies! Lord, right now I focus on Your compassion, on Your mercy. The Hebrew definition calls this Your “loving-kindness.” May it reach into my heart and wash over me with Your love. May it fall on me today like a blanket. Lord, it is my nature to lose sight of all You are in the midst of confusion and trouble. Highlight Your loving-kindness to me today in a way that will bless and encourage and revive me afresh. Lord, You are faithful in all of life. Surprise me with Your faithful mercy dropping like rain around me all day long. May I not be consumed or eaten up by the challenges of this day, but find rest for my soul in the depths of Your compassion for me. Thank you that You alone are our merciful God who brings a fresh basket of loving-kindness to my heart every morning. May I watch for it, enjoy it, and share it. I pray this in the strong name of Jesus, Amen.
Questions: Have you been seeking God’s refreshing by spending regular time with Him in His word? What blessings are you receiving as you turn to Him each day?

Careful Thought To Our Ways By Steve Troxel
The motivational speakers of our day want us to set great goals for our life: "Where do you want to be in two, five, or ten years? What type of lifestyle do you want when you retire?" We are encouraged to set goals slightly beyond our reach, and then instructed how to create a plan to accomplish these goals. The implication is that a more focused effort will yield superior results and lead to greater "success."
But before we can ask where we want to be in the next few years, we must first ask a longer term question: "Where will I be in one hundred years?" No other goal is worth pursuing until we have a solid answer to this most basic (but all-important) question. What difference does it make which college we attend, which job we take, or what our home looks like if we have failed to address the issue of where we will spend eternity!?
Proverbs 14:8 "The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways, but the folly of fools is deception."
We must be wise with the days we are given and no longer be deceived by the values of the world's system. There's nothing inherently wrong with goals and plans; but far too often, they lead to a self-determined lifestyle and away from the true Director of ALL plans; "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps" (Proverbs 16:9). Our planning must be as a direct response to God's leading; and once in place, our plans must remain in complete submission to His will; "I know, O Lord, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps" (Jeremiah 10:23). When our goal is to be in the center of His will, the specifics of where we will be and what we will be doing are really none of our business. This last sentence is worth reading again!!
Every moment of our life is a precious gift from God. Even though the average life span continues to increase, our time is extremely short. An average life lasts about 45,000,000 minutes (much less in many countries). This may seem like a lot, but by this time tomorrow 1440 minutes will be forever gone; "You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14).
We must not waste our limited time by chasing after things which vanish; "Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity" (Ephesians 5:15-16). We must evaluate ALL our decisions and goals based on the overriding desire to glorify God in all we do, to rejoice in His many blessings, and to long for the time when we can worship before His throne for all eternity. Any other set of values must fade to nothing in comparison.
Every day we are handed a block of time and given the freedom of how it will be spent. This is a wonderful opportunity, but the clock continues to tick! Let's honor our Heavenly Father with our goals and plans and give careful thought to our ways.

Like A Deer by Gail Rodgers
“The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.” (Habakkuk 3:19)
This morning I opened the curtains just as the sun was coming up. The movement startled a deer eating the seeds that had fallen from the bird feeder.
With remarkable agility, she sprang into action; white tail in the air, she gracefully bounded over the snow bank and bushes as if she had springs in her legs! It was beautiful to see.
This reminded me of a great statement in God’s word. Listen again to these encouraging words: “The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights.” (Habakkuk 3:19)
What a lovely word picture! With the Lord as our strength, we can have sure-footed confidence as we navigate the challenges and obstacles of today. He enables!
Lord God, You give amazing strength to keep me sure-footed in places and days that are difficult to navigate. Thank you for this promise of the strength of the Sovereign Lord enabling me to go to the heights. Thank you that I do not need to be hemmed in by today’s challenges. Thank you that You alone can enable me to move forward, to bound gracefully through this day. I praise Your name, and I ask this in the strong name of Jesus. Amen.
Questions: What are your favorite word-pictures from the Scriptures? How have they inspired you to move forward with assurance to face challenges and obstacles?

Never to Late to Get Back on Track by Barbara Alpert
“Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” (Hebrews 12:1)
Multitudes of people make a resolution to change at the beginning of the year. Most have every good intention to correct the problem, but many give up by February, if not sooner. Here we are in March. Think back on your own resolutions, are any of them still going strong?
As followers of Christ, often we too set out to renounce particular habits and behaviors, along with solemn promises to embark a more dedicated walk with the Lord. We might pledge to read our Bibles and pray on a daily basis, to faithfully attend church and tithe or to serve in an outreach. However, just like the majority of people who break their New Year’s resolutions, we too may have fallen off track, abandoning our commitment and forfeiting the victory we earnestly desired.
If this sounds all too familiar, today is the day to get back on track! Do not allow the enemy, your flesh, or guilt to keep you disqualified from that which you wholeheartedly desire. Get back in the race so you can achieve the goals you set out to attain on behalf of God, yourself and others.
In Proverbs 24:16 we read, “for though a righteous man (woman) falls seven times, he (she) rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity.” Refuse to allow the enemy to bring you down into calamity, eliminating you from receiving that which God desires to see you win.
With determination and self-control, realistic goals, continuous reliance on the Holy Spirit, an accountability group (if needed), and fixing your eyes on Jesus, you’re on the way to victory. In Hebrews 12:1 we read, “let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Ask God to reveal the ‘weight and hindrances’ that are entangling you. Pray that the Holy Spirit will aid you in overcoming fleshly desires and the works of the enemy so you can come out a winner. Remember, it is never to late to get back on track, to become victorious in all that God seeks to accomplish in and through you, and to pass some of your victory unto others that are struggling.
Heavenly Father, pardon me for my shortcomings. May Your Holy Spirit empower me to live a victorious life that brings honor and glory to Your name. May I run this race with perseverance in hopes of bringing others into Your victory lane as well. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray, Amen
Question: Are you ready to get back on track with the things you set out to achieve?

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
Let truth rule and reign in your heart, and be done with the presumption that comes with projecting yourself into the future. No matter how much you think you know about what is ahead, you only have a glimpse of that which has not yet become reality. And, the truth will be exaggerated and distorted by your imagination. It will benefit you greatly if you can get real and stay real right here and now, says the Lord. 1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part.

Beloved, face every challenge by faith in the strength of My Spirit. My power is enough, but you must believe that it is. Do not allow difficult conditions, negative reports, and out-of-control responses to undermine your faith in what I am able and willing to do on your behalf, says the Lord. Trust Me completely. Jeremiah 39:18 "For I will surely deliver you, and you shall not fall by the sword; but your life shall be as a prize to you, because you have put your trust in Me," says the LORD."

I am doing a work in you to reveal your true motivations in your interactions with other people. I will show you the places where you manipulate people and situations to gain acceptance. And, if you will allow it, I will purify your heart and re-establish innocence, for I will have a people whose only desire is to do My work and please Me, says the Lord. Psalms 32:2 Blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.

The restlessness that you are beginning to experience is the moving of My Spirit to wake you up spiritually and bring you to a new level of awareness. It would be a mistake to try to satisfy this sense of boredom externally by trying to satisfy the flesh. Rather, I would have you to pay closer attention to spiritual activity, says the Lord, and discern what I am doing. Hebrews 5:14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
What will your one step of faith be in this new season? It is the first step that leads to victory. You will be given the opportunity to step out in faith in a new way. You are a supernatural people, and your God is saying, “Take one step of faith to begin this new and exciting journey, and with your first step the supernatural will be revealed.”

Forever In Your Arms by Nancy Burr
I long to be beside you Lord,
To reach and touch your face.
To walk with You and hold Your hand,
And feel Your sweet embrace.
I long to dance before Your throne,
Singing songs of praise.
To live in heaven with You Lord,
Worshipping You always.
I often dream You're here with me,
I see Your lovely face.
I look at You and then I melt,
Into Your warm embrace.
You look so deep into my eyes,
There's nothing I can hide.
Although my heart is filled with sin,
Your arms stay open wide.
This is the place I long to be,
Forever in Your arms.
I know I'll never be afraid,
You'll keep me safe from harm.
But then you whisper in my ear,
"I'm here just trust in me,
I promise you I'll never leave,
With you I'll always be".
I heard Your voice so clearly Lord,
And looked around for You.
You stirred my heart and then I knew,
Your promises are true.
I do not have to see Your face,
To know You're here with me.
You just want me to trust in You,
And believe You'll always be.
You hold my hand when I am scared,
You take my pain away.
You hold me in Your loving arms,
Each and every day.
You look so deep into my heart,
There's nothing I can hide.
Although my heart is filled with sin,
Your arms stay open wide.

My Light by Nancy Burr
Today the skies are filled with clouds,
It's hazy and unclear.
The cold wind blows the trees around,
Then falling rain I hear.
My heart is feeling gray today,
Much like it is outside.
My morning didn't go well at all,
And many tears I've cried.
I do not feel like doing much,
I stay in to keep warm.
I cuddle up and fall asleep,
Just waiting out the storm.
I dream about the clear blue skies,
The happy days of spring.
The bright warm sunshine way up high,
And all the joy it brings.
Then as I'm dreaming I see God,
He's smiling right at me.
He looks so gentle, kind and warm,
And so much love I see.
I cannot take my eyes off Him,
His face is glowing bright.
He pulls me in His loving arms,
And holds me O so tight.
I stay there in His sweet embrace,
He looks into my eyes.
He says "My child, follow Me,
And I'll give you blue skies".
"In the night I'll be your light,
When you're afraid I'll hold you.
When you feel sad and all alone,
Don't forget I love you."
"I'll fill you up with love and joy,
My peace will fill your soul.
I promise you I'll never leave,
My love will make you whole.
So trust in me my precious one,
I'm all you'll ever need.
I'll be your sunshine when it's gray,
Just trust and I will lead."
When I awoke I heard the rain,
Darkness filled the sky.
But all I saw was a bright light,
Shining way up high.
"I'll be your sunshine when it's gray,"
Echoed in my ear.
Then joy just overflowed my soul,
And I could feel God here.
On days when everything looks gray,
I look into the sky.
Right through the clouds I see a light,
Shining way up high.
God is my sunshine and my light,
He shines down on my soul.
He turns my darkness into light,
And makes me feel so whole.

1 Blessed is the man Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, Nor stands in the path of sinners, Nor sits in the seat of the scornful; 2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night. 3 He shall be like a tree Planted by the rivers of water, That brings forth its fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does shall prosper. Psalm 1:1-3

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your generous Spirit. 13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, And sinners shall be converted to You. Psalm 51:10-13

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. Galatians 5:22-26

2 I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me. 3 He shall send from heaven and save me; He reproaches the one who would swallow me up. God shall send forth His mercy and His truth. Psalm 57:2-3

12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. 13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. 1 Corinthians 10:12-13

32 “Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell what you have and give alms; provide yourselves money bags which do not grow old, a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches nor moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12:32-34

Take Heed to Your Ministry
12 Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity. 13 Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. 14 Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership. 15 Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all. 16 Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you. 1 Timothy 4:12-16

Birth of the Song "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" By Thomas Andrew Dorsey
[note from Chris: The song "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" has been an inspiration to many and was reportedly Martin Luther King Jr's favorite song. Here is the powerful story behind the song - followed by the lyrics and a youtube link to listen.]
Back in 1932.... I was 32 years old and a fairly new husband. My wife, Nettie, and I were living in a little apartment on Chicago's Southside. One hot August afternoon I had to go to St. Louis, where I was to be the featured soloist at a large revival meeting.
I didn't want to go. Nettie was in the last month of pregnancy with our first child. But a lot of people were expecting me in St. Louis. I kissed Nettie good-bye, clattered downstairs to our Model A and, in a fresh Lake Michigan breeze, chugged out of Chicago on Route 66.
However, outside the city, I discovered that in my anxiety at leaving, I had forgotten my music case. I wheeled around and headed back. I found Nettie sleeping peacefully. I hesitated by her bed; something was strongly telling me to stay. But eager to get on my way, and not wanting to disturb Nettie, I shrugged off the feeling and quietly slipped out of the room with my music.
The next night, in the steaming St. Louis heat, the crowd called on me to sing again and again. When I finally sat down, a messenger boy ran up with a Western Union telegram. I ripped open the envelope.
Pasted on the yellow sheet were the words: YOUR WIFE JUST DIED.
People were happily singing and clapping around me, but I could hardly keep from crying out. I rushed to a phone and called home. All I could hear on the other end was, "Nettie is dead. Nettie is dead."
When I got back, I learned that Nettie had given birth to a boy. I swung between grief and joy. Yet that night, the baby died. I buried Nettie and our little boy together, in the same casket. Then I fell apart.
For days I closeted myself. I felt that God had done me an injustice. I didn't want to serve Him any more or write gospel songs. I just wanted to go back to that jazz world I once knew so well. But then, as I hunched alone in that dark apartment those first sad days, I thought back to the afternoon I went to St. Louis. Something kept telling me to stay with Nettie.
Was that something God? Oh, if I had paid more attention to Him that day, I would have stayed and been with Nettie when she died. From that moment on I vowed to listen more closely to Him. But still I was lost in grief.
Everyone was kind to me, especially a friend, Professor Fry, who seemed to know what I needed. On the following Saturday evening he took me up to Malone's Poro College, a neighborhood music school. It was quiet; the late evening sun crept through the curtained windows. I sat down at the piano, and my hands began to browse over the keys. Something happened to me then. I felt at peace. I felt as though I could reach out and touch God. I found myself playing a melody, one into my head-they just seemed to fall into place:
Precious Lord, take my hand, lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn,
Through the storm, through the night lead me on to the light,
Take my hand, precious Lord, Lead me home.
As the Lord gave me these words and melody, He also healed my spirit. I learned that when we are in our deepest grief, when we feel farthest from God, this is when He is closest, and when we are most open to His restoring power. And so I go on living for God willingly and joyfully, until that day comes when He will take me and gently lead me home.

PRECIOUS LORD TAKE MY HAND
When my way groweth drear,
Precious Lord, linger near,
When my life is almost gone;
Hear my cry, hear my call,
Hold my hand lest I fall,
Take my hand, precious Lord,
Lead me home.
Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Thru the storm, thru the night,
Lead me on to the light;
Lead me home.
Nearing life-journey's end,
Be my Guide, be my Friend,
Give me strength Lord, to overcome;
I'll not go all alone,
For by grace I'm Thine own;
Lead me home.
When the shadows appear,
And the night draweth near,
And the day is past and gone;
At the river I stand,
Guide my feet, hold my hand,
Lead me home.

Thank you, God, for your word. Grant us hunger to read it more and joy as we read. Help us to follow your command and reach out in love to others. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
2 Kings 15
Azariah Reigns in Judah
1 In the twenty-seventh year of Jeroboam king of Israel, Azariah the son of Amaziah, king of Judah, became king. 2 He was sixteen years old when he became king, and he reigned fifty-two years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Jecholiah of Jerusalem. 3 And he did what was right in the sight of the Lord, according to all that his father Amaziah had done, 4 except that the high places were not removed; the people still sacrificed and burned incense on the high places. 5 Then the Lord struck the king, so that he was a leper until the day of his death; so he dwelt in an isolated house. And Jotham the king’s son was over the royal house, judging the people of the land. 6 Now the rest of the acts of Azariah, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Judah? 7 So Azariah rested with his fathers, and they buried him with his fathers in the City of David. Then Jotham his son reigned in his place.
Zechariah Reigns in Israel
8 In the thirty-eighth year of Azariah king of Judah, Zechariah the son of Jeroboam reigned over Israel in Samaria six months. 9 And he did evil in the sight of the Lord, as his fathers had done; he did not depart from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin. 10 Then Shallum the son of Jabesh conspired against him, and struck and killed him in front of the people; and he reigned in his place. 11 Now the rest of the acts of Zechariah, indeed they are written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel. 12 This was the word of the Lord which He spoke to Jehu, saying, “Your sons shall sit on the throne of Israel to the fourth generation.” And so it was.
Shallum Reigns in Israel
13 Shallum the son of Jabesh became king in the thirty-ninth year of Uzziah king of Judah; and he reigned a full month in Samaria. 14 For Menahem the son of Gadi went up from Tirzah, came to Samaria, and struck Shallum the son of Jabesh in Samaria and killed him; and he reigned in his place. 15 Now the rest of the acts of Shallum, and the conspiracy which he led, indeed they are written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel. 16 Then from Tirzah, Menahem attacked Tiphsah, all who were there, and its territory. Because they did not surrender, therefore he attacked it. All the women there who were with child he ripped open.
Menahem Reigns in Israel
17 In the thirty-ninth year of Azariah king of Judah, Menahem the son of Gadi became king over Israel, and reigned ten years in Samaria. 18 And he did evil in the sight of the Lord; he did not depart all his days from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin. 19 Pul king of Assyria came against the land; and Menahem gave Pul a thousand talents of silver, that his hand might be with him to strengthen the kingdom under his control. 20 And Menahem exacted the money from Israel, from all the very wealthy, from each man fifty shekels of silver, to give to the king of Assyria. So the king of Assyria turned back, and did not stay there in the land. 21 Now the rest of the acts of Menahem, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel? 22 So Menahem rested with his fathers. Then Pekahiah his son reigned in his place.
Pekahiah Reigns in Israel
23 In the fiftieth year of Azariah king of Judah, Pekahiah the son of Menahem became king over Israel in Samaria, and reigned two years. 24 And he did evil in the sight of the Lord; he did not depart from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin. 25 Then Pekah the son of Remaliah, an officer of his, conspired against him and killed him in Samaria, in the citadel of the king’s house, along with Argob and Arieh; and with him were fifty men of Gilead. He killed him and reigned in his place. 26 Now the rest of the acts of Pekahiah, and all that he did, indeed they are written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel.
Pekah Reigns in Israel
27 In the fifty-second year of Azariah king of Judah, Pekah the son of Remaliah became king over Israel in Samaria, and reigned twenty years. 28 And he did evil in the sight of the Lord; he did not depart from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin. 29 In the days of Pekah king of Israel, Tiglath-Pileser king of Assyria came and took Ijon, Abel Beth Maachah, Janoah, Kedesh, Hazor, Gilead, and Galilee, all the land of Naphtali; and he carried them captive to Assyria. 30 Then Hoshea the son of Elah led a conspiracy against Pekah the son of Remaliah, and struck and killed him; so he reigned in his place in the twentieth year of Jotham the son of Uzziah.
31 Now the rest of the acts of Pekah, and all that he did, indeed they are written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel.
Jotham Reigns in Judah
32 In the second year of Pekah the son of Remaliah, king of Israel, Jotham the son of Uzziah, king of Judah, began to reign. 33 He was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned sixteen years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Jerusha the daughter of Zadok. 34 And he did what was right in the sight of the Lord; he did according to all that his father Uzziah had done. 35 However the high places were not removed; the people still sacrificed and burned incense on the high places. He built the Upper Gate of the house of the Lord. 36 Now the rest of the acts of Jotham, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Judah? 37 In those days the Lord began to send Rezin king of Syria and Pekah the son of Remaliah against Judah. 38 So Jotham rested with his fathers, and was buried with his fathers in the City of David his father. Then Ahaz his son reigned in his place.

Gracious God, lead us onto the paths that help us to live the life you envision for us. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply