Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Sponsors and Sponsees Help Forum

Share This Forum!  

Sponsors and Sponsees Help Forum This forum is to discuss any topics, questions or comments you have on sponsorship from How To Pick A Sponsor to When To Step Back and more.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Don't Look Back

It's a good idea to look in the rear-view mirror once in awhile; just don't stare…

I know of one thing that can plague me the most in my recovery: my past. From when I had 2 months, or one year, or until I sat down with my sponsor and worked my 5th Step, or as I pray to the God of my understanding to remove a character defect, or make an amends, and even to this day. I can think about the things I did in my day-to-day active addiction, mentally revisit a few particularly bad experiences, remember that last fix, pill and/or drink, any of which can end up in an emotional whirlwind of self-hatred, and loathing towards life in general.

The longer I stare in the rear-view mirror of my past, the more disgusted I become with the person I created, and how I can react to the world around me. And the longer I stare, the greater my chances are of returning to my old thought patterns and coping mechanisms, whether or not the thoughts of using even comes into my mind. And if I keep staring– which I discovered through many bitter tears – the greater my chance of relapse.

The thing is, I still need to have that occasional reminder of my past, usually through newcomers at meetings, so that I don't return to that person today. I still need to see that look of desperation in their eyes, see their shaking hands, and hear their quavering voice, if they even share at all. But I don't have to stare at the rear-view mirror of my life through them any longer; I can look forward through the windshield of my life as it is today.

I have Steps to walk, spiritual principles to apply, prayer and meditation, and a life I need to share with others in and outside of recovery each day. Through these things I can replace the life of my past with a new life today. And that newcomer who I need to see is also the person I need to talk with. I need to let them know the hope I have in my life today because I surrendered to win. I need to let them know that I can trust again and have faith in the NA program. I need to let them see for themselves how the Steps work in my life. And most importantly, I need to let them know how a Higher Power works in my life, so long as I let Him.

Now, today I can let the God of my understanding work through me – in whatever way He wants, and through whomever He chooses - and leave the results up to Him. I can remember the past, but I no longer have to live in that life. I can follow the suggestions of the NA program and Fellowship, and live today.

Am I willing to quit staring in the rear-view mirror and live my life today?

written by a recovering addict
Joey from PA
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply