Thread: Giving
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 01:43 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

As it says in AA, and I think it also applies to Al-Anon, 'You have to give it away in order to maintain it," or words to that affect.

I learned this early and I wasn't capable of much, the best thing I could do in early recovery was go to meetings. I went to meetings and shared what got me to the doors of recovery and what had happened when I first got through those doors.

When I got to two years in recovery, I went to the local jail, detox, recovery houses, and groups in AA and in Al-Anon to share my story. After 60 meetings I lost count.

i had some special moments. I was asked by a counselor (who was at my first meeting) in a treatment center to speak on Spirituality in recovery. I thought it was an indoor group. It was to a group of 10 girls going through treatment. When I finished sharing she gave me a big hug and said, "My girl you have come a long way." I was 5 years sober Another highlight was speaking for a groups 40 year anniversary when I was about 10 years sober and the speaker thanker was a gentleman who was a big part of my early recovery.

One of the highlights of recovery was being sent on a trip to the Dini Petty Show as part of a thank you for the volunteers at detox. I said to the girl beside me, "I hope this is something worthwhile, I have a lot of things better to do with my time and watch a TV Show. The program was on "Intuitive Healing." It is still something I use in today.

We never know where and how the gifts will come, but when you give, they do come, often from unexpected sources.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote