View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Thursday, August 8, 2013

You are reading from the book Touchstones

I got the blues thinking of the future, so I left off and made some marmalade. It's amazing how it cheers one up to 'shred oranges and scrub the floor.
—D. H. Lawrence

Focusing on pain or having difficulties can put us in a rut, and we neglect the other things in our lives. A simple task like making marmalade can be a brief vacation. We change our thought patterns when we change activities. The simple action of doing something pleasant might inject a new feeling into our outlook. Sharing a problem with a friend may be all we need to see it more clearly or let it go. Moving from busy physical activity to a few moments of quiet contemplation creates an inner balance. A problem that seems overwhelming at night may be met with new insight and new energy after a night's rest.

We don't have to continue feeling like victims of circumstance or remain stuck with a nagging problem. Just like changing the subject of a conversation, we can change the subject of our attention for a time. When we do, we regain our sense of hope and change our responses.

Today, I will give myself a break when I become caught or obsessed with a problem.

Realized I was doing this, said a prayer, a friend phoned me, she had been on holidays. She was an answer to prayer, I really need to talk to her and it allowed me to see what was happening in my life and put it into it's proper perspective. She is not in recovery, but her husband has about 40 years of sobriety in AA. When I let go, the solution appeared, she wasn't the solution, she opened the door to the solution and my clarity of thought.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing: