View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Why must I have a sponsor? Can't I do this on my own?

This is a "we" program. --Saying Heard At Meetings

Newcomer
Why must I have a sponsor? Can't I do this on my own?

Sponsor
Sponsorship is a strong suggestion--not a rule. Yes, some people do stay in recovery without a sponsor. And no, we can't recovery on our own.
There are great advantages to taking the program suggestion to maintain a relationship with a sponsor. Recovery is a major change--it's one of the most difficult, most courageous things we can do in our lives. A sponsor, someone who's survived the ups and downs we're facing in early recovery, can serve as a guide and mentor. He or she can answer our questions and help us through the Steps, giving us the benefit of his or her experience. With a sponsor present to witness our recovery process, to offer perspective and support, we may have a gentler ride.
When I was active in my addiction, I avoided the intimacy of relationships in which I might have to open myself to others or trust them. Even at times when there were many people in my life, I managed to avoid "people situations" that made me uncomfortable. A sponsor-sponsee relationship can be the start of learning that human beings can depend on one another.

Today, I'm not alone in recovery.
--If You Want What We Have
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links