View Single Post
Old 02-10-2023, 06:49 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 9

Practice of the Day-
BB pg xxx, xxxi-
Ch-The Doctors Opinion:
This immediately precipitates us into a seething cauldron of debate. Much has been written pro and con, but among physicians, the general opinion seems to be that most chronic alcoholics are doomed.
What is the solution? Perhaps I can best answer this by relating one of my experiences.
About one year prior to this experience a man was brought in to be treated for chronic alcoholism. He had but partially recovered from a gastric hemorrhage and seemed to be a case of pathological mental deterioration. He had lost everything worth while in life and was only living, one might say, to drink. He frankly admitted and believed that for him there was no hope. Following the elimination of alcohol, there was found to be no permanent brain injury. He accepted the plan outlined in this book.
One year later he called to see me, and I experienced a very strange sensation. I knew the man by name, and partly recognized his features, but there all resemblance ended. From a trembling, despairing, nervous wreck, had emerged a man brimming over with self-reliance and contentment. I talked with him for some time, but was not able to bring myself to feel that I had known him before. To me he was a stranger, and so he left me. A long time has past with no return to alcohol.

-Tom- The first part of the 12th step says “Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps...”
That means that if I do the steps 1-12, I am guaranteed to have a spiritual awakening sufficient to recover from alcoholism and drug addiction. If I don’t do them, steps 1-12, I will not.
Early in my relationship with my sponsor he told me there is only one thing I had to do. I said great, only one thing, what is it? He said “change your whole ****ing life”. I said I had been trying to do that and it hasn’t worked. He said well, let’s do these steps and see what happens.
I did/do the steps, 1-12 and my whole life changed. I didn’t change me, doing the steps changed me, and for that I am Eternally Grateful and will Continue, one day at a time,
With My Last Breath.
I pray that today I hear the cry of those in need and answer their call.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote