Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Forum (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Thoughts Just For Today (https://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150)

MajestyJo 08-17-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN'T LOOKING

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/flowers/0294.gif

A message every adult should read because children
are watching you and doing as you do, not as you say.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you hang my
first painting on the refrigerator, and I immediately
wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you feed a
stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind
to animals.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you make my

favorite cake for me, and I learned that the little
things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn't looking I heard you say a
prayer, and I knew that there is a God I could always
talk to, and I learned to trust in Him.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you make a
meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I
learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw you take care
of our house and everyone in it, and I learned we have
to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw how you
handled your responsibilities, even when you didn't
feel good, and I learned that I would have to be
responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw tears come
from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things
hurt, but it's all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn't looking I saw that you
cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn't looking I learned most of
life's lessons that I need to know to be a good and
productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn't looking I looked at you and
wanted to say,'Thanks for all the things I saw when
you thought I wasn't looking.'

To All THE PEOPLE I KNOW
WHO DO SO MUCH FOR OTHERS,
BUT THINK THAT NO ONE EVER SEES.
LITTLE EYES SEE A LOT .

Each of us (parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, teacher, friend)
influences the life of a child.

MajestyJo 08-17-2013 06:19 PM

When You Thought I Wasn't Looking

When I saw this title, I had thoughts in another direction.

We so often forget that our God can see our actions, knows our thoughts, our intent and motives.

Denial can give us selective hearing and sight, can block us from the messages of God. We think because no one knows, we can do what we want to do, act the way we want to, and be less than our God would have us be. I think that is why there are Steps 6 and 7.

Our self-righteousness can fill us up with self-importance, and we have no room left for God. We are so full of the almight "Self" that we don't have time for anyone else, and often looking down on them to make ourselves look good.

I was reminded today, a woman I have known for years was in the mall. I said hello to her even though I was with my son, although he wouldn't have paid her any attention, he is not surprised when people come up to me or I go up to someone else. For that reason, he generally walk in front of me or behind me and as he reminded me today, "Mother you are old."

Prior to recovery, I wouldn't have acknowledge the woman. I would have been embarrassed and would have what people would think if they saw me talking to her. She is disabled and has a slight mental challenge. It is such a joy to see her face light up when she sees me. Little does she know, that she warms my heart.

I don't want to ever forget where I came from. I don't ever want to go back there and be that person who is so self-righteous. I think the worst is putting someone else down to make me feel better and worst of all is condescention. I have been on the receiving end far too often, and would never want to walk in the same shoes and lower myself to that level.

Self-righteousness blocks us from the sunshine of the spirit. I am so glad that my God is a forgiving God.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/insects-...flies/0169.gif

MajestyJo 08-18-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

"Fill Up Your Tank"

“How do we keep our inner fire alive? Two things, at minimum, are needed: an ability to appreciate the positives in our life – and a commitment to action. Every day, it’s important to ask and answer these
questions: ‘What’s good in my life?’ and ‘What needs to be done?’”

-- Nathaniel Branden

I have found there’s a very different quality to my action when it springs from a sense of abundance as opposed to a feeling of being impoverished.

When I sense I’m not good enough or that I don’t have enough, I feel driven to be better and to have more. Whatever I do takes effort – there’s an element of struggle involved. And this makes sense because there’s no fuel – I’m working on an empty tank.

When I’m feeling abundant, I act out of my own inspiration. I’m rich and full and so the energy flows naturally. This action at times feels almost effortless.

It's important to remember that we don't need money to be abundant. All we need is appreciation of all that we have.

“ ...what I focus on in life is what I get. And if I concentrate on how bad I am or how wrong I am or how inadequate I am, if I concentrate on what I can’t do and how there’s not enough time in which to do it,
isn’t that what I get every time? And when I think about how powerful I am, and when I think about what I have left to contribute, and when I think about the difference I can make on this planet, then that’s what I get. You see, I recognize that it’s not what happens to you; it’s what you do about it.”

-- W. Mitchell

These quotes are supplied courtesy of Higher Awareness. They offer inspiring, thought-provoking self development programs to help you clearly
understand how life and natural laws work, whilst enhancing intuition and creating the future you desire.
Click Here For More Information:-

http://www.thedailyguru.com/higherawareness.htm

Love this, generally for me it means action. Going on the computer and sharing does it, listening to music, reading (sometimes depends on the material), picking up the phone, going to a meeting, in the past it was taking a nice relaxing bath, but I can't do that these days, because I can't get in and out of the tub, so my shower it is along with a prayer of cleansing and removing any attachments and issues that are not mine to take on.

Going down to the mall, 95% of the time, I see at least 2 or more people I know, at least 2 people in recovery or use to be in recovery, they both can carry a message to me, one of gratitude.

Meditation is the great of all. Spending time alone with my God and finding that White Light within, and being open to what He has to share with me in today.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/phone-240x320-dogs/0208.gif

MajestyJo 08-24-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/phone-24...ngels/0151.gif

Life is a winding road.
You never know which way to go.
Because when you least expect it,
life will deliver a fork in the road.

You think about it, do your best,
and let God take care of the rest.
With good friends and family,
the choice is clear.
Knowing you're there to guide me,
I have no fear!

Sharing what was shared w/me ~~
source not known!
Try to avoid looking forward or backward
but "Keep Looking Upward"

Keep your face to the sunshine &
you cannot see the shadows!

Helen Keller

MajestyJo 08-24-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/phone-24...ngels/0174.gif

Whatever our hands touch-
We leave fingerprints!
On walls, on furniture
On doorknobs, dishes, books.
There's no escape.
As we touch we leave our identity.

Oh God, wherever I go today
Help me leave heartprints!
Heartprints of compassion
Of understanding and love.

Heartprints of kindness
And genuine concern.
May my heart touch a lonely neighbor
Or a runaway daughter
Or an anxious mother
Or perhaps an aged grandfather.

Lord, send me out today
To leave heartprints.
And if someone should say,
"I felt your touch,"
May that one sense YOUR LOVE
Touching through ME.

- Unknown

dwmoeller 08-29-2013 03:30 PM

M Y E D

Motivate
Yourself
Every
Day !

MajestyJo 09-03-2013 04:50 AM

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

You are reading from the book Today's Gift

Into each life some rain must fall. Some days must be dark and dreary.
—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Coping with problems and weathering troubled times - is part of life. Those of us who have survived painful experiences have a duty to help younger ones prepare to face bad times by sharing the solutions we found.

When stormy weather comes, we need to feel we are like other people. It's not that misery loves company, but that we don't want to feel we're in this alone.

We will never have perfect living conditions. The only place where every day is a sunny one is in the desert. When pain comes, we can walk through our problems and settle things quickly, rather than prolonging the hurt by battling our way around the obstacles in an effort to avoid them.

What problem can I confront and eliminate today?

Playing the blame game. Pointing finger`s at someone, means that I have three coming back at me. It is important to lower my expectations of others and myself, and raise my level of acceptance.

I was always told, do it right or don`t do it at all, especially if I had fear of failure. If it wasn`t my mom`s way, it wasn`t the right way, and I carried that old take all of my life. It is something my God and I are still working on.

Quote:

Character is how we act when we think no one is watching.

Walk Softly and Carry A Big Book

When I saw this, I thought of the phrase "Monkey see, Monkey do." How about that other phrase, "Children have big ears."

When I hear about my son's actions in addiction, I generally, I can say occasionally, I take them back to me. I think of the slogan "Let It Begin With Me." I keep thinking it all began with me, when in fact, my son has his own choices.

I don't have to pay for my actions for the rest of my life. I did the best I could for where I was at in that time. That doesn't make them right. It doesn't justify them. It just is, and I had to pray and turn all those feeling over to my Higher Power.

Not only my feelings but my son. His recovery could not come from me. The best amend I can make to him is stay clean and sober myself and show him by my walk not my talk.

I need to take responsibility for my part. I had to learn not to take on his anger and projections.

A good example is the liquor I hid in a tall gold tupperware glass to drink when my dad and my ex-husband passed out. I either forgot it or figured I would save it for later, but my son found my stash and drank it. I didn't know that until many years AFTER I got into recovery. He made the decision to drink it. I certainly didn't want him to drink it or did I tell him to. He could have a beer but not my rye!

It took a long time for me to look at myself and take responsibility for my own actions. I was too busy looking at my dad, husband and son. They had the problem, they were drunks. I could handle my booze. In today I know I was the functioning alcoholic whose addiction to pills (dried up alcohol) escalated, until they stopped working for me, and I needed more. More no longer worked, and I even had guilt about my guilt.

They had their disease, but so did I, in fact I have heard that people in Al-Anon and Nar-Anon are sicker than the alcoholic and addict.

I told myself that I had to drink because I couldn`t stand to be around them sober. What a cop out! The reality was, my husband quit for 6 months and I couldn`t, but that is okay, because I didn`t have the problem. It would ease my guilt by looking at others, comparing, and wearing that blanket of denial that wouldn`t allow me to look at myself.
http://www.animated-gifs.eu/mammals-cats-love/0026.gif

MajestyJo 09-04-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Getting Out Of Your Own Way

Each day in our lives, we hope and pray for a better day,
that things should improve in one area or another.
But all too often, all we do is hope and pray.
That is not enough --
We have to think, act and speak differently.
If we don't change how we think, speak and act,
we are bound to repeat the same problems or
mistakes that gives us a situation we want changed.

So how do we change things?

The hardest part of change is thinking differently.
You have to challenge your own assumptions,
including most delicately, the sense of who you are.
You may not be who you really think you are.

Never forget, we judge others by their actions,
but we judge ourselves by our intentions.
Yes, you meant to help someone with a project,
you intended to give charity, you were planning on
inviting your friends over for dinner, but if you didn't do it,
in their minds you had no intention, and you are judged
as such. So start correcting this error.

If you intend to do something - DO IT.
Don't procrastinate, don't delay.
Stop making excuses.
You want to improve yourself, get out of your own way.

Now find someone you completely trust,
who has your interest at heart
and who can give you constructive criticism.
It is often better for a friend to be this person
than a spouse.
And tell the person to try to remove personal bias
(of how you may have hurt them or been inconsiderate).
It has to be coming from a place of true concern for you.

Start with one area.
Don't take on your whole life at one time.
What you may realize is that you may not
be perceived the way you perceive yourself.
So work on correcting the in-balance -
and you will immediately feel more content and
balanced inside...

You that you can start changing your life for the better
by starting to Think, Act and Speak differently!

By: R. Barker
This is why I say the Third Step Prayer and follow it with the Seven Step Prayer.

Step Three: Many of us said to our Maker, as we understood Him: "God, I offer myself to Thee-to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of life. May I do thy will always."

It has been my practice to add, "Thy will, not Mine, be done. Amen!"

Seventh Step Prayer: My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen.

From Big Book - p. 76

The difference between a demand and a simple request is plain to anyone. The Seventh Step is where we make the change in our attitude which permits us, with humility as our guide, to move out from ourselves toward others and toward God. The whole emphasis of Step Seven is on humility. It is really saying to us that we now ought to be willing to try humility in seeking the removal of our other shortcomings just as we did when we admitted that we were powerless over alcohol, and came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. If that degree of humility could enable us to find the grace by which such a deadly obsession could be banished, then there must be hope of the same result respecting any other problem we could possibly have.

I need to get out of the way, so my God can work through me, instead of having to go around me.

http://www.angelwinks.net/images/friends/friends14.jpg

MajestyJo 09-04-2013 06:16 PM

Humility, not humiliation as so many people think it means. It is about saying, "I don't know and being willing to learn." It isn't about feeling shame and failure because you don't know. You can't know what you have never been taught. I have had some great teacher put in my path. When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. My thoughts are not original, they came through others, they are what I have been given, and I pass them on with the hope that it will help others as it helped me. It is also my perception and my interruptation of what I heard, so it is my thoughts and my truth. When I do my prayer and meditation, I ask for an open mind, clarity of thought, new perception and awareness.

I was told to obtain true humility, you had to remain teachable. When I think I know it all, I know nothing. I pray that I never get to a stage in my recovery, that I think that I need to teach instead of being open to be taught or given new insight.

Every time a newcomer comes into the rooms of recovery, they teach me: 1) It isn't any better out there. 2) This disease is still cunning, baffling and powerful. 3) That all I have is today, daily reprieve for this 24 hours. 4) That I am only an arms length away from my first drink and that all I have in defense is my spiritual condition. 5) to be grateful, not only saying it but by showing it.

Step Seven says, "Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings." When I fall short of who I believe my God would have me be in today, I take things to Him, knowing that of myself, I do not have the power to change. Like when I was drinking, I could stop but I couldn't stay stopped. It was only when I went to AA, that I found that I didn't have to drink, one day at a time.

I no longer have to act out in my disease. I can take those thoughts and actions to my Higher Power. When I go to Him and ask for help, I know that I am empowered to do what I need to do for myself, just for today. I am not the power, I am not the center of my Universe, and I am not the be all, know all, to everyone else and playing God with their life and my own.

Something I posted on another site.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...27722077_n.jpg

MajestyJo 09-04-2013 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

DAILY OM

Reflection for the Day

"It is the privilege of wisdom to listen," Oliver Wendell Holmes once wrote. If I try as hard as I can to cultivate the art of listening - uncritically and without making premature judgments - chances are great that I'll progress more rapidly in my recovery. If I try as hard as I can to listen to the feelings and thoughts expressed - rather than to the "speaker" - I may be blessed with an unexpectedly helpful idea. The essential quality of good listening is humility. Does a holier-than-thou attitude sometimes close my mind to the shared suggestions of others?

Today I Pray

May my Higher Power keep me from being "holier-than-thou" with anyone whose manner or language or opposite point of view or apparent lack of knowledge turns me off to what they are saying. May I be listening always for the voice of God, which can be heard through the speech of any one of us.

Today I Will Remember

Hear the speech, not the speaker.

You are reading from the book:

A Day at a Time (Softcover) by Anonymous - Jan. 26, 2009
When I am open to listening for the good orderly direction in my life, then I become aware of those special gifts that are there, that prior to recovery I wouldn't have even noticed, let alone know they were even there for the taking.

Humility for me, is being able to listen to other ideas other than my own. Doesn't mean I will always agree with them, but it is about being open to receiving the message and not shutting down when it comes to something I don't totally believe in.

Humiliation kept me from allowing myself to become vulnerable. Humility allows me to be vulnerable and open to new things.

MajestyJo 10-01-2013 03:43 PM

Sober Acronyms

AA = Absolute Abstinence
AA = Altered Attitudes
AA = Attitude Adjustment
AA = Adventurers Anonymous

ABC's = Acceptance, Belief, Change
ABC's = Ashtrays, Broom, Coffee
ABC's = Ashtrays, Broom, Chairs

ACTION = Any Change Toward Improving One's Nature

ALCOHOLICS = A Life Centered On Helping Others Live In Complete Sobriety
ANONYMOUS = Actions Not Our Names Yield Maintenance Of Unity and Service

ASK = Ass-Saving Kit

BAR = Beware Alcohol, Run - BAR = Beware Alcoholic Ruin

BIG BOOK = Believing In God Beats Our Old Knowledge

DEAD = Drinking Ends All Dreams

DENIAL = Don't Even Notice I Am Lying

DETACH = Don't Even Think About Changing Him/Her

DUES = Desperately Using Everything but Sobriety

EGO = Edging God Out

FAILURE = Fearful, Arrogant, Insecure, Lonely, Uncertain, Resentful, Empty

FAITH = Fear Ain't In This House

FEAR = Failure Expected And Received
FEAR = False Evidence Appearing Real
FEAR = False Expectations Appearing Real
FEAR = Fear Expressed Allows Relief
FEAR = Feelings Every Alcoholic Rejects
FEAR = Fighting Ego Against Reality
FEAR = Forget Everything and Run
FEAR = Face Everything and Recover
FEAR = Frantic Efforts to Appear Recovered

FINE = Faithful, Involved, knowledgeable and Experienced
FINE = Feeling Insecure, Numb and Empty
FINE = Frantic, Insane, Nuts and Egotistical
FINE = Freaked out, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional
FINE = Frustrated, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional

GAYS = Go Ask Your Sponsor

GIFT = God Is Forever There

GOD = Good Orderly Direction
GOD = Group of Drunks

GUT = God's Undeniable Truths

HALT = Honestly, Actively, Lovingly Tolerant
HALT = Hope, Acceptance, Love and Tolerance
HALT = Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired
HALT = Horny, Arrogant, Lazy and Tragic

HALTS FEAR = Hope, Acceptance, Love and Tolerance Stops Forgetting that Everything's All Right

HELP = His Ever Loving Presence
HELP = Her Ever Loving Presence
HELP = Hope, Encouragement, Love and Patience

HOPE = Happy Our Program Exists
HOPE = Hearing Other Peoples' Experience
HOPE = Hang On Peace Exists
HOW = Honesty, Open-mindedness, Willingness
HOW = Honest, Open-minded and Willing

ISM = I, Self, Me
ISM = Incredibly Short Memory
ISM = I Sabotage Myself
ISM = I Sponsor Myself

KISS = Keep It Simple, Stupid
KISS = Keeping It Simple, Spiritually

MMM = Meetings, Meditation and Masturbation (recommended for the first year)

NUTS = Not Using The Steps

OUR = Openly Using Recovery

PACE = Positive Attitudes Change Everything

PAID = Pitiful And Incomprehensible Demoralization

PMS = Poor Me Syndrome
PMS = Pour More Scotch

PROGRAM = People Relying on God Relaying a Message

RELATIONSHIP = Real Exciting Love Affair Turns Into Outrageous Nightmare, Sobriety Hangs In Peril

RID = Restless, Irritable and Discontented

SLIP = Sobriety Loses Its Priority

SOB = Sober Old Bag
SOB = Sober Old Bastard
SOB = Sober Old Biker
SOB = Sober Old *****

SOBER = Son Of A *****, Everything's Real

SPONSOR = Sober Person Offering Newcomers Suggestions On Recovery

STEPS = Solutions To Every Problem in Sobriety
STEPS = Solutions To Every Problem, Sober

STOP = Sicker Than Other People

TIME = Things I Must Earn

WILLING = When I Live Life, I Need God

YET = You're Eligible Too

dwmoeller 10-02-2013 09:28 AM

Thanks for sharing this Jo. I liked the Sober Acronyms. I copied it and printed it out for my Sobriety Notebook. I'm also going to share it with my alcoholic friend in Iowa.

MajestyJo 11-08-2013 01:32 AM

Have had a big spiritual awakening the past week! God keeps bringing me to it, and FINALLY, I woke up and saw the Light go on!

Question:

Why am I here? How come I am in a bachelor apartment? Why haven't I had a phone for nine days and a computer for 10 weeks? Oh woe is me!

Answer:

Because...
You can't say no!
If you shut everyone out and don't make room for them in your space, then they can't come in and try to control and take over YOUR space.
Boyfriends can't get comfortable in your space instead of making space for themselves.
My son can't come home to mother because there is no couch or bed to sleep on.

If you make the space small enough, there is only room for you.

Sounds like my disease talking don't you think?

Wrote this in August 25th, 2005 on another site.

We need to make our homes and personal space safe. I still have problems with my son, thinking that he has a right to whatever is mine, is his, just because it is there. What is mine is his. It is my job as a mother to always be there, whether it is want, need, or just because.

It is a part of his disease. He says I don`t understand him. He doesn`t realize that I can see my disease reflected in him, and I am just grateful that I don`t have to act out in my dis-ease in today.

It isn`t about drinking and drugging in today, it is my emotional sobriety and the stinking thinking behind my addiction.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/mammals-pigs/0079.gif

dwmoeller 11-08-2013 09:51 AM

Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence. - Vince Lombardi.

MajestyJo 11-08-2013 12:48 PM

Like this. In Al-Anon, it says our primary spiritual aim. As you say, "We can aim for perfection, and often we fall short and beat ourselves up." Perfection isn't a recovery tool, it is part of my disease. Know that our expectations need to be lowered, so our goals are reachable. Good is obtained through my God, it is not my works but His Will be done.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/birds-swans/0030.gif